Fly Fusion Forums

Bow Access In The South

I don't live in town but am hoping to stop in this weekend. Does anyone know what the situation for access is south of 22x where the deerfoot crosses the Bow? Last year, people were just parking in between the lanes in the ditch and walking down. Seemed like the cops were just letting it happen with no tickets. I parked there several times with a dozen other people with no issues. However, at the end of last year, it looked like there was some type of parking lot being built on the NorthWest side. What's the scoop with fishing there? Is parking in the ditch between the lanes still the way to go?

Cheers.

Guest JayVee

Yep. There were at least 20 cars parked there on Sunday.

I don't live in town but am hoping to stop in this weekend. Does anyone know what the situation for access is south of 22x where the deerfoot crosses the Bow? Last year, people were just parking in between the lanes in the ditch and walking down. Seemed like the cops were just letting it happen with no tickets. I parked there several times with a dozen other people with no issues. However, at the end of last year, it looked like there was some type of parking lot being built on the NorthWest side. What's the scoop with fishing there? Is parking in the ditch between the lanes still the way to go?

Cheers.

Cheers.

Im pretty sure its mostly for construction for south cranston which is going down into the valley along the bow. The city is also expanding its water treatment out let down there as well for the new treatment plant.

Just don't park on the right hand side when your heading south(unless you park in the ditch). There is a nice paved area access to a gate with no parking signs and you always seem to see some yuppie with a bmw or other sports car who wouldn't want to get grass on his tires. This is how access is lost, please don't do it.

I'm chicken to park in the middle of deerfoot. I parked at policeman's and walk up. Someday I'll park on the north side and fish nothside after seeing two guys fishing that side one January catching one fish after another for two hours

Ive always parked on the south bound north side. either in the middle or off to the side. I you look on google maps and hit satellite you can see why the no parking signs are up now.

Thanks for all of the info. Elected instead to go to Douglasdale as it was quite a bit closer to where we were staying and I didn't have a lot of time. Arrived on the river at 6:45 to see that the mother hole already had a fisherman in it.... thought it might. Went upstream, knowing from previous fishing trips there that it wouldn't be as good but that I could fish by myself. Tied on a Bow river buggar and had a hit right away. Looked back down to "the hole" and now there were 4 fence posts standing in the same place. Glad I didn't go down there.

Went the next 2hrs with nothing but had a great morning breaking off the rust. Midges were hatching in ok numbers as I left and with the clouds moving in, I can only assume that the fishing probably improved considerable RIGHT after I left. Oh well, took the 14 month old boy and the fam to the zoo for the afternoon and had a great time. That baby giraffe is pretty cute.

Cheers.

My wife and I just came back from a spring steel head trip on the west coast .. every trip we take into B.C. we are amazed at the number of sweet little rest spots and access points on ther streams and rivers...All we seem to do is loose access to our rivers and other recreational opportunities .. can you immagine on such a big project like that not figuring in a parking spot for a city of 1,000,000 people to access the great outdoors..In BC. there is access to almost every steam you cross with picknic tables and bath rooms and a shelter .. down here on the Crowsnest we lost two shelters in the last two years because our government couldn,t afford a coat of paint , so they tore them down ?? and everything else has a locked gate after the summer... I thought we were the HAVE province were does all that money go ? Into the pockets of the concervative party I guess .. remember that when you vote .. good luck dodging that deerfoot traffic ...