Fly Fusion Forums

Mexcico Trip...

beedhead

Well it's sure good to be back!!....The first couple hrs. we were in Playa Del Carmen our rental car got broke into cleanly.....We were parked 1/2 a block from our friends fishing shop on a busy street, not really worried at all bout our stuff, to get info from our friend on where to stay for the night and some fishin directions, we then returned to the fully locked car and went to our hotel, parked the car reached back on the floor to get our packs and they were gone!!!...Panic set in as our back packs contained our Passports, fishin gear, plane tickets, some fishin clothing, my cell phone among many other things.....Not much was said for the first couple min. I think the first thing I said was how the frick are we goin to get home!?!?!?....We then went into the hotel and explained our horror to a young man that worked there and spoke good English, and he took us to the local municipality to get a report wrote up.....For the next 3 days we stressfully pissed around getting emergency passports, pictures made up for the Canadian Consulate (They were really good to us!!), that was a lot of stress and paper work/questions, WOW, and the one of those days I was sick as a freakin dog from something I ate....After talking to some Local people, friends and police, we figure we got ripped off from the rental car company, I guess there has been a bit off that crap goin on down there as of lately, we confronted the agency about the theft, but nothing was settled at all....So after all the fricken around, we then went to Boca Paila area to do some fishin and along the way stopped at the Boca Paila Fishing Lodge, to see if I could rent a reel, as I didn't have one, Both got ripped off including the one Clive lent me, Dekkard had one reel left he had in another bag, we were goin to share a rod if worse came to worse....Thank god the Lodge was more than willing to rent me a reel for 10$ a day....They are super nice people at the lodge, great place!!, fantastic food too!! .....We then hit the flats and got into a some Bone's and Amber Jacks....Awesome!!, we were somewhat happy once again....Found a nice place with Cabanas, out of this world food, drink and coffee, close to the Bones and stayed there for a few days and fished the flats, till our car got broke into while we were fishing, they had punched out the lock for the hatch and tried to rip the stereo out of the dash, but only got it half out wrecking the dash and getting my camera charger and power inverter that was stashed under the seat, along with the rest of Clives flies that he had so kindly lent me....Frick here we go again!!!... Absolutely Devastated once again, we returned to the Cabanas and I got into the tequila!!!....The next day we went to Playa to get a new car and they wanted us to pay for the damages, thank god we had our Mexican friend Fediricco with us to help us out, and in the end never had to pay, we were just gettin screwed every where we went!!....So back to the flats to do some more fishin, but things were just not the same after that, Both dekkard and I were not our selves.....But continued to stalk Bones and what ever else was cruisin.....Witnessed some nice Permit, Sharks, Jacks, Snook, Cuda's, Snapper, but nothin large to hand, I had something big on, but somewhat straightened the hook after my line got wrapped on the handle of the reel, as it took off!! that was a piss off.....Them salt water fish of all sizes are spooky!!!, got to get'em on the feed or nothin.....Oh ya, Drove to Punta Allen one day on the absolute crazy road, it took us about 2hrs to do 30km of road, only to find you need a guide and a boat to get to the good flats, (Two fly castin Canadians told us that over Supper)...So we stayed the night, had a great meal and headed back to Boca Paila in the Morn.....All in All we, seen some cool things, learnt some valuable lessons, seen a lot of cool fish, got into some fish, lots of good lookin women (I mean Lots!), Got hang out with a good friend, so it was a bad trip, but we made the best of it.....Below are some pics, got some sorted out but for some un-forsaken reason, need to get a lot re-formated?!?!...

Cheers...Jeff..

Mexico2011461.jpg

Mexico2011445.jpg

Our Cabana...To the left, the flats, 1 min walk to the right, the Ocean...Loved that little Paradise....

Mexico2011414.jpg

adc's tie, worked well

Mexico2011385.jpg

Morning Breaky....Was good...

Mexico2011379.jpg

Mexico2011359.jpg

Mexico2011357.jpg

Mexico2011350.jpg

Awesome pic's Jeff....Sorry to hear about the theft! I'm glad you two made the best out of a bad situation.

Thanx Gary, we did our best to keep our heads somewhat high....Like I said above, after the 2nd rip off, things were kinda dull....However, our goal was to get Bones on the flats without bein guided, so we are pretty happy about that....

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the Mafia has been spreading to the South in the last few weeks, (according to many locals in Playa) Our friend that has a deep sea guiding company, along with a grocery store, got a call on the 3rd last day we were there, and the Mafia was demanding money over the phone, unreal!!....I guess they were bugging his neighbor that also has a business a couple weeks before that!....Hmmm, things are not lookin good at all in Mexico for tourism, what a shame.....

Ill add some other pics later....

Cheers...Jeff..

Thanks for sharing the pics Jeff. Sorry to hear about all your stuff getting stolen. Nice to see you guys stayed positive after everything that happened and managed to get into some fish. Let me know if you need anything to get you going this spring.

Thanks for sharing the pics Jeff. Sorry to hear about all your stuff getting stolen. Nice to see you guys stayed positive after everything that happened and managed to get into some fish. Let me know if you need anything to get you going this spring.

Thanx a bunch for the offer Lorne, Im OK on gear, just a little low things now...Left most of my Trout stuff in Canada.....Pricey Trip....

Thanx...Jeff..

Thanks for sharing this story and the great pictures.

Sorry you guys had to go through that. That country has gone to *hit in terms of safety.

Obviously though you guys did the best you could and still went fishing !

You will have some great a stories for the grandkids LOL

Hey Jeff.....

So sorry to hear about your misfortunes..........Clive filled me in a bit after chatting with you when you got back..........Bummer for sure..........You wanted the trip of a lifetime and I guess you're hoping that was it..........Next one will be better..........At least you stayed as positive as possible and fooled a few fish............Good on ya!!.......Will look forward to seeing you on some open water at Bullshead one of these days soon...........I leave for Belize on Tuesday...........Hoping my trip is not quite as "eventful" as yours..........

Hey Jeff.....

So sorry to hear about your misfortunes..........Clive filled me in a bit after chatting with you when you got back..........Bummer for sure..........You wanted the trip of a lifetime and I guess you're hoping that was it..........Next one will be better..........At least you stayed as positive as possible and fooled a few fish............Good on ya!!.......Will look forward to seeing you on some open water at Bullshead one of these days soon...........I leave for Belize on Tuesday...........Hoping my trip is not quite as "eventful" as yours..........

Hey Al, Have a great time in Belize!!!...The Bitters , Crabs, and others, ya tied up for me worked well, thanx a bunch!!.....Lookin froward to chattin at BH about some good, but, "Not so eventful" adventures. :D .. :thumbup: ...Lay a licken on those Tarpon!!

Have a good one...Jeff..

Hey Al, Have a great time in Belize!!!...The Bitters , Crabs, and others, ya tied up for me worked well, thanx a bunch!!.....Lookin froward to chattin at BH about some good, but, "Not so eventful" adventures. :D .. :thumbup: ...Lay a licken on those Tarpon!!

Have a good one...Jeff..

Nice fish. Where in Mexico did you go to fish ?

Right on amigo, you guys won't forget that trip anytime soon! Glad you made it back......how bout chasin some steelies this fall? ;)

Sounds great buddy... :thumbup: ...Love to hook into some Steel with ya's!!...Or at the least, get educated... :D ...

Cheers...Jeff..