Fly Fusion Forums

Missing An Old Friend

I got off work a trifle early yesterday and when I walked to the train station, I was struck with how warm it was. So I rushed home, changed as fast as I could, threw a bunch of fishing crap in the car, and took off to a favorite spring time spot for the first time in a long time.

This particular spot (I should actually say "area', because there is tons of fishable water) I've fished for the past 3 or 4 years. It was one of those rare places that was really easy to get to, yet few people fished it. Which was sweet, because it was full of fish. It seemed every time I went I discovered something new about it. My friend Jared and I have fished it together many, many times and have our own names for several of the runs. I almost drowned bobloblaw there once.

We always knew it wouldn't last. Now there is a parking lot, and dog walkers (nothing against dog walkers, they have every right to the outdoors as well), and constant fishing. When I pulled in yesterday, 2 cars were disgorging their wader clad occupants for a shot at the river. (and I have nothing against that either!). Since I did not have a lot of time, and did not want to try to figure out where I would fit in, I just left for some other favorite water that I was lucky enough to have to myself. But I was certainly disappointed to not have the chance to see if the browns were exactly where I thought they would be.

I'm not complaining. This is the way things go. No way places can be kept secret forever, and we had the run of this area for 3 years. It's a great area, but it's suddenly like trying to find a spot at the popular runs in Fish Creek. Your odds of being alone are not all that great. I do wish there wasn't a parking lot though! The good news is that I get to find the next hidden gem. She's out there somewhere, time to find a new friend. I'll visit the old one early in the mornings and late in the evenings when she is a little less occupied.

I know what you mean Rick. I've had a "secret" hole Ive gone to near Sundre since I was about 10 years old. Changed a lot since then but basically its the same. Need a 4x4 and some luck to get there without getting stuck. I usually go there 3-4 times a season and have awesome luck everytime I go. Went two seasons ago to find someone had been camping near the area and left ALL of their garbage behind. I threw it all in the back of my truck and fished for a few hours, catching a few. The next time I went there the road/path had been repaired and there were 3 othere vehicles parked when I arrived. All fishing in or around "my" area. I went back once last year to find more garbage and people there again so im sure its a well known area by now. Secret spots cant remain secrets forever, but you will always have the memorys when it used to be "yours." Like you said time to move on and find the next one!

Nice pull Andrew! I loved the Kinks. I was watching the video thinking "how could I have never seen this" until the kid played the tennis racket, then it all came back. I love this part:

In the hallway, in anticipation,

He didn't know the night would end up in frustration.

He'd end up blowing all his wages for the week

All for a cuddle and a peck on the cheek.

Describes my high school years almost perfectly.

"LIKE"- the writing; nicely done, Tex.

"DISLIKE"- the subject of the post. Kinda sucks.

I shall very nearly feel guilty when I fish there on a weekday whilst you're working.

Maybe I'll do the old "neoprene float/bob/spacewalk" just for old times' sake!