Fly Fusion Forums

Rain Barrel

Trying to be eco-friendly and save some money on water bills by making a rain barrel this year. Anyone know places to get a barrel for cheap or even free? There are a bunch on kijiji for $20 but I thought I could get it for cheaper maybe!!!!

Thanks!!!

Trying to be eco-friendly and save some money on water bills by making a rain barrel this year. Anyone know places to get a barrel for cheap or even free? There are a bunch on kijiji for $20 but I thought I could get it for cheaper maybe!!!!

Thanks!!!

please be sure you know what has been in the barrel and how it was cleaned if you are going to use it for potable water or water for your garden? some of the materials transported in drums can be very nasty.

• 2 weeks later...

"In southern Alberta be aware of insecticides/ag chemicals and industrial fallout. Nasty stuff."

I seriously doubt that Don. You were kidding, right? Not much industry here...southern Alberta probably has some of the cleanest rainwater in the world. In any case, whatever is in rain water goes directly onto the gardens anyway, right? ;) There might be nasty stuff washing into the barrel from the roof tars, resins, glues etc etc. We have used rainwater for years. Plants seem to like it.

Knew a lady who bragged about her "organic" raised-bed veggie garden ... the raised beds were made from railroad ties. Pretty funny.

lethfisher .. there is (or was) a 1,000-L, food-grade water tank in the Herald "under $100" classified ads recently.

..................Knew a lady who bragged about her "organic" raised-bed veggie garden ... the raised beds were made from railroad ties. Pretty funny. ...............

I'm not a chemist, but I took took enough organic chemistry to know that the main ingredients of creosote (phenols, cresol, and guaiacol) are all organic compunds. Therefore your lady gardener friend did indeed have an organic garden. :lol: Terry