Fly Fusion Forums

Starting Out

Dxh

Hey guys. Really interested in starting tying. Never once tried before. Funds are a little tight right now, im considering purchasing the 75$ starter kit at basspro. Start out cheap and small and gradually upgrade my tools as i progress in skill. Any thoughts on the kit? Worth my 75$ or would i be better waiting untill i had the money to buy quality. Thanks!

There are earlier threads dealing with this topic, so it's worth your time to do some searches. Usually when this topic comes up, the consensus is that fly tying kits are not the way to go. You're better off buying a modestly priced but reasonable quality vice, basic equipment like bobin, scissors etc., and a selection of materials that will allow you to tie a few flies that you actually use when you're fishing. After you get a bit of experience, you'll know what you need to buy next. Terry

There are earlier threads dealing with this topic, so it's worth your time to do some searches. Usually when this topic comes up, the consensus is that fly tying kits are not the way to go. You're better off buying a modestly priced but reasonable quality vice, basic equipment like bobin, scissors etc., and a selection of materials that will allow you to tie a few flies that you actually use when you're fishing. After you get a bit of experience, you'll know what you need to buy next. Terry

Nailed it.

Don't cheap out on scissors, by the $15 pair over the $4 pair.

I buy everything supercheap except feathers. You can always cut with a 4$ pair of bad scisors (fish do not reject a fly because 1 mm of thread is visible...). But I tried cheap hackles, and simply does not work...

SAme for hackle pliers, vise (vice ?). Mine is a 10 bucks shitty one. I own it since 4 years (when I started) and never complained about it. Hook is secured. Ok, it doesn t rotate....

Now, it depends if you use nymphs or dries (or both). For dries, you need dubbing (like 15$ a box of mixed colors), deer hair (cheap), hackles (not cheap but essentials. Try a few feather first and if you like it, buy half a saddle in grizzli and one in brown).

And just dont be greedy with the hooks...That far more important than any scissor or fancy electrical rotating stuff...

That being said, if you enjoy having only the best (as a rod costing 3000$), gorget what I am saying.

I know I will receive a bunch of criticism, but honestly, I cant shut my mouth. It does not have to be expensive.

I always fish with my own flies. Are they the most beautiful...Hell no!! But I catch fish with it. I even caught fish with my first home made fly. When I look at it, I dont get it. It s so ugly...I evenused my daughter s hair for the tail....And it caught fish.

I am not the best flyfisher either, but I am rarely skunked.

So try the starter kit, or buy it separatly (better as there is a lot of stuff inside you won t be using anyway).

My 2 cents.

I buy everything supercheap except feathers. You can always cut with a 4$ pair of bad scisors (fish do not reject a fly because 1 mm of thread is visible...). But I tried cheap hackles, and simply does not work...

SAme for hackle pliers, vise (vice ?). Mine is a 10 bucks shitty one. I own it since 4 years (when I started) and never complained about it. Hook is secured. Ok, it doesn t rotate....

Now, it depends if you use nymphs or dries (or both). For dries, you need dubbing (like 15$ a box of mixed colors), deer hair (cheap), hackles (not cheap but essentials. Try a few feather first and if you like it, buy half a saddle in grizzli and one in brown).

And just dont be greedy with the hooks...That far more important than any scissor or fancy electrical rotating stuff...

That being said, if you enjoy having only the best (as a rod costing 3000$), gorget what I am saying.

I know I will receive a bunch of criticism, but honestly, I cant shut my mouth. It does not have to be expensive.

I always fish with my own flies. Are they the most beautiful...Hell no!! But I catch fish with it. I even caught fish with my first home made fly. When I look at it, I dont get it. It s so ugly...I evenused my daughter s hair for the tail....And it caught fish.

I am not the best flyfisher either, but I am rarely skunked.

So try the starter kit, or buy it separatly (better as there is a lot of stuff inside you won t be using anyway).

My 2 cents.

i actually got the kit for christmas, the good - several great patterns (inc. olive wooly bugger), excellent dvd, with great step by step instruction and tips galore, quality tools, the bad - piss poor vice, so is it worth 75 dollars??? if you want some heavy handed help - yes, but if you are a self starter and fast learner, then buy a good book (dave hughes 'trout patterns'), get some help at yer flyshop and just try it, one guys opinion, good luck!

Don't cheap out on scissors, by the $15 pair over the $4 pair.

X2

I also agree with other comments that high end rotating vice is not needed. Just something that holds the hook well.

My opinion forget the kit. Choose a pattern you use and pick up the stuff needed. Then more to tie in differnet sizes and colours. Perfect that pattern and move on. A woolly bugger is a good place to start. You can use heavier thread #3 which won't break as easy till you learn tension and thread control.

Last thing, You Tube!! absoulutley packed full of info and demonstration

WARNING...TYING FLIES BECOMES AN ADDICTION....

Have Fun!

James

Thanks guys! Never tried the search, crossed my mind but then i thought aw well whats a forum for anyways. Sounds like i am going to forget the kit idea, thanks for all the responses. How addicting can it be??? :rolleyes: