Fly Fusion Forums

Where To Buy Razors?

marcvansluys

Hey everybody, I'm tying up a bunch of streamers with Muddler style deer hair heads (zoo cougars, bow river buggers, etc.), but I am currently cutting and shaping the heads with my scissors. This is a bit cumbersome. So... where can you buy razors to cut the heads? I'm looking for some fatter razors that I can easily bend/work with. I don't think that the ones from my Mach 3 will do the trick?

Thanks

You mean double-edged razor blades for a safety razor? Wal-mart, London Drugs, Shoppers, or almost any place that sells shaving stuff. The sharpest ones out there are made by Feather, but the Personnas, Merkur, and Gillette ones are pretty good too.

I'm not really sure what I mean... I'll check out double-edged razor blades for a safety razor. It just seems that typical razor blades, found in mach 3's and such, are much to thin. I assume that the above razors are much thicker. Checked Wally World last night and didn't see anything that I was looking for, I'll have to check one of the drug stores.

Thanks

I'm not really sure what I mean... I'll check out double-edged razor blades for a safety razor. It just seems that typical razor blades, found in mach 3's and such, are much to thin. I assume that the above razors are much thicker. Checked Wally World last night and didn't see anything that I was looking for, I'll have to check one of the drug stores.

Thanks

this is what you are look for.

post-2513-1300295225.jpg

Is this a safety razor?

post-3627-1300299029.jpg

post-3627-1300298971.jpg

If so, the blades you want are the very thin double sided gillete, mach 3 or whatever. Wilkinson Sword blades are really good to, just go the razor section and pic a few up, they need top be able to bend. Hope this helps, this little tool as eased a good bit of grief.

Is this a safety razor?

post-3627-1300299029.jpg

post-3627-1300298971.jpg

If so, the blades you want are the very thin double sided gillete, mach 3 or whatever. Wilkinson Sword blades are really good to, just go the razor section and pic a few up, they need top be able to bend. Hope this helps, this little tool as eased a good bit of grief.

I like that little tool. Where can I get one?

Yes, that is what they call a safety razor. I have been wet shaving with that style of blade for a few years now and will never go back to cartridge style razors. The blades are not that easy to find locally any more, unless you order from a specialty place. One of my stops in Vegas in a couple of weeks will be the Art of Shaving store to shop for some blades.

There is also this guy in Calgary who I just found. http://www.rasagepoulin.com/blades/

Andrew

I like that little tool. Where can I get one?

Yes, that is what they call a safety razor. I have been wet shaving with that style of blade for a few years now and will never go back to cartridge style razors. The blades are not that easy to find locally any more, unless you order from a specialty place. One of my stops in Vegas in a couple of weeks will be the Art of Shaving store to shop for some blades.

There is also this guy in Calgary who I just found. http://www.rasagepoulin.com/blades/

Andrew

Check out O'Connor's on 1st Street SW and 14th Ave. They carry AoS and some of the higher end DE blades. I've picked up Merkur blades there before.

Check out O'Connor's on 1st Street SW and 14th Ave. They carry AoS and some of the higher end DE blades. I've picked up Merkur blades there before.

Thanks, that's great. I did order some from the link I posted above as well, but i is nice to go in and pick them up.

Andrew

Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up some Wilkinson Sword Blades at London Drugs yesterday. They seem to work pretty well. Much better than my dull scissors.

How long do those razors last for. I shaved 5 wooly sculpins with one and it seemed to lose some steam by then end. Is this typical or just my imagination?

Thanks

I shaved 5 wooly sculpins with one and it seemed to lose some steam by then end.

I dont know why i find that sentence so humerous. I guess it depends on how big you wolly sculpin is.

Did it take one edge to do the 5 wolly scuplins? Does not seem too bad to me.

Andrew

Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up some Wilkinson Sword Blades at London Drugs yesterday. They seem to work pretty well. Much better than my dull scissors.

How long do those razors last for. I shaved 5 wooly sculpins with one and it seemed to lose some steam by then end. Is this typical or just my imagination?

Thanks

I find they get dull pretty quick plus the tighter you pack the hair the easier it is to shape as the blade starts to get dull.