Fly Fusion Forums

May 6-8, 2011

As of right now, we (three of us) are planning to float the Bow from May 6th to the 8th. Travel on the 5th and 9th. We are bringing one drift boat unless we can find a couple more people from down here.

We are planning on camping at Nature's Hideaway as we plan on floating the lower river. I think it would be cool to float through town though below the dam and above the weir. Good idea? Access?

Of course we understand how volatile mother nature can be but we don't have a ton of flexibility in the time we can come up to fish. One of us is a guide and starts trips around this time and my wife's birthday is the 4th (can't leave on her birthday can I?). We want to fish before run off gets going. We don't want the water too high but we have always liked a little color to the water we fish, forcing most fish to the bank. STREAMER FISHING!!!!!!!

UberFly has been a big help. Beer is on the way. Only one case across the border per person? I guess we will just have to settle on expensive but better dark beer!

Not looking to follow anyone down the river as we want to figure most of this out on our own. But wondering if anyone wants to float along with us, help doing our on shuttles, help get to the accesses etc. In return we could host you in the Bozeman area and point out where to buy crummy expensive American beer, etc!

PM if that works better.

Guest Jeremie

Might be down for that weekend. Or the weekend before. Probably wont get to do the camp drift kind of thing, but if we're down at the same time we'll definitely say hello and etc. If we make it down the weekend before i'll give you a heads up on whats working!

Tight lines!

As of right now, we (three of us) are planning to float the Bow from May 6th to the 8th. Travel on the 5th and 9th. We are bringing one drift boat unless we can find a couple more people from down here.

We are planning on camping at Nature's Hideaway as we plan on floating the lower river. I think it would be cool to float through town though below the dam and above the weir. Good idea? Access?

Hello Deeppowder,

May 6-8 you will not be able to float the upper City stretch as it is closed.

from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).

CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Looks like a great trip and I hope the weather works out for you. I would like to float with ya but I'm heading South to Montana that weekend.

BBT

Hello Deeppowder,

May 6-8 you will not be able to float the upper City stretch as it is closed.

from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).

CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Looks like a great trip and I hope the weather works out for you. I would like to float with ya but I'm heading South to Montana that weekend.

BBT

Will row for beer.

Will row for beer.

Just make sure you give him the beer after he's done rowing. <--poke--<

I will drink beer & fish however.

If you are looking to do the city section your best bet is to put in at the Glenmore trail boat launch and then float to 22x/Fish Creek or Police man's flats. The next day would be good to from where you left off to MacKinnon Flats, and then the next day Mckinnon to Carsland.

Is there a boat launch at Nature's Hideaway? Never been there and was just wondering.

Depending on when we are around we may see you on the river. I am sure I could convince someone to do a float on May 6.

Andrew

Wow,

Lots of PM's with good information. Sorry if I missed anyone. There were quite a few!

Jeremie,

Any current information is welcome.

BBT,

Thanks for the heads up! Why Montana? There are no fish there!

SJW,

3/4 of the replies requested beer. Long winter?

Gaffer,

Yep, those three floats seem to be the plan. Not sure if there is a ramp at Nature's. Did I hear it might be frozen until May?

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Well, we have run into a snag. One of the guys on our trip had a little run in with the law about six years ago. He tried to do the paper work prior to getting to the border and getting turned back. Sounds like the process is any where from 3 months to 2 years and 200.00 to 1,000.00 bucks.

Needless to say, he is out and thus so is the trip. Is this standard procedure to get across the border?

Fortunately we also have a family trip planned around the first of July. Still bumming about this trip though.

Instead we will be lurking on the Big Hole :fishy:

Thanks to all that offered up help. Hopefully we will see you in July.