Fly Fusion Forums

Question Re: Stamps And Coins

A question for any stamp and coin collectors. How much (on average) do stamps and coins increase in value over the years? This question stems from many unfounded remarks from friends/family that tell me I should keep my collections rather than sell. However, they can never tell me exactly what the rate of return is on keeping the collection.

The only rate of returns I have come up with are by taking (1) initial value (2) today's value. For example, a coin from 1911 worth $1 that is today worth $20 has an average rate of return of .20/year. So, 50 years would yield $10 (if the demand is there).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

S,

The only thing that I'm aware of is the ones that are extremely rare (have a flaw/mistake, etc. when being made) are the ones that appreciate the most... The common ones don't appreciate that much... Probably worth keeping for your kids/grand kids as you most likely won't be on the antiques road show anytime soon....

P

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i need to get mine appraised for my ins. I got my dads old collection and added it to mine a few years back and it is quite substantial from late 1800 to mid 90.

Is that place on Center ST still open for trade and perches?

S,

The only thing that I'm aware of is the ones that are extremely rare (have a flaw/mistake, etc. when being made) are the ones that appreciate the most... The common ones don't appreciate that much... Probably worth keeping for your kids/grand kids as you most likely won't be on the antiques road show anytime soon....

P

I remember when the loonie first came out when I was a kid.. there was a rumor going around that there were some loonies printed in error that had the loon swimming in the opposite direction. They were said to be worth $200. Did anyone else ever hear that? I can't find anything on Google.. so I'm starting to think it was just an urban legend.

I remember when the loonie first came out when I was a kid.. there was a rumor going around that there were some loonies printed in error that had the loon swimming in the opposite direction. They were said to be worth $200. Did anyone else ever hear that? I can't find anything on Google.. so I'm starting to think it was just an urban legend.

I found a Loonie with chocolate in the middle. I'll sell it to you for $200.00 since I'm sure it's rare. :hls;:

A question for any stamp and coin collectors. How much (on average) do stamps and coins increase in value over the years? This question stems from many unfounded remarks from friends/family that tell me I should keep my collections rather than sell. However, they can never tell me exactly what the rate of return is on keeping the collection.

The only rate of returns I have come up with are by taking (1) initial value (2) today's value. For example, a coin from 1911 worth $1 that is today worth $20 has an average rate of return of .20/year. So, 50 years would yield $10 (if the demand is there).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It is very tought to say, plus it depends on what the market is doing for those particular items. Basebal cards & comics have taken a dump, I am not sure about stamps & coins. You best bet would be to have the collection appraised.

In terms of an investment, I would say that there are a lot better investments if that is what you are hoping for. If you like the collection then enjoy it.

Andrew

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if i were to do an investment type perches it would be in gold coins. The coin part doesnt matter as much as the GOOOOOOOLD!

if i were to do an investment type perches it would be in gold coins. The coin part doesnt matter as much as the GOOOOOOOLD!

Too many people in gold & the price has not as much potenital for growth as silver IMHO>

Any time I have had some extra cash I have been buying Maple Leafs (1 troy oz. of silver). Not too many people can walk into a coin shop & buy and oz. of gold, but most people can with silver.

Take a look at the one year return on silver bullion.

Andrew

Guest Sundancefisher

Gretzky made a killing on super rare coins. I think some gold coins will become more valuable as some fools sell them for the gold value.

Still...an earlier post stated my impression..really rare stamps..worth a lot. You average semi rare stamp...not so much. My collection is worth more to me from a sentimental point of view than monetary. My grandmother and I worked on building our stamp collections when I was little and staying over for sleep overs. I just wished gramps told me more about his war experience before he passed.

Man I miss the old grandparents. Grandparents seem more under appreciated this day and age...