Fly Fusion Forums

Devlin's Rubberized Stonefly

SanJuanWorm

As per request of a couple of people.

Special thanks to JayVee for saving these pics from the old board.

I tie in #4 and #6. Simple Mustad hook. I make a slight bend to give the stonefly a curved sort of look.

Wrap the thread over the shank to make sure the lead wont slide off

d663.jpg

Tie lead down both sides of the hook shank. Make sure it stays on the sides ( practice makes perfect) Use pliers to flatten it if it wants to round.

d664.jpg

Take a feather, i use any saddle hackle in natural color and strip all the barbs off (just grab and pull them off) Do this to 8.

d665.jpg

Tie two of them in the back for the tail on the sides of the hook. Wrap over the thick ends and trim off.

d667.jpg

Cut off some nymph skin and trim off a corner to make a point. This is where you tie it in to make wrapping it forward easier and not create bulk.

d668.jpg

Once nymph skin is tied in, wrap it evenly forward in a nice segmented body.

d669.jpg

Place a bunch of dubbing at this point in a nice area to tie the legs on and mount the wing case.

d670.jpg

I have 3 wing burners to simulate the wing case size. You can also just trim out the wing case pieces. Whichever u want.

d671.jpg

Place the webwing in the burner and burn it up.

d672.jpg

You are left with a nice shape.

d673.jpg

I colored this piece brown with a brown permanent marker.

d674.jpg

Tie in the wing case segment. Once done wrap some more dubbing around it.

d675.jpg

For the legs I soak the quill body in water (or use your spit and run it down the quill) This will soften it for you to tie it in a knot. Tie in the back legs.

d676.jpg

Dub again.

d677.jpg

Tie in another set of legs. Dub it again and put the next section of wing case on.

d678.jpg

Cut a piece of bead chain. Use tweezers to help you tie it on the hook. Tie it on like dumbell clouser eyes in a crisscross pattern.

d679.jpg

Dub it again, put some more legs on it. I leave the ends of the last legs long and use them for antenna. Tie on the next section of wing case.

d680.jpg

Add the last wing by the head and whip finish. Use some head cement over the thread for durability because the browns really hammer these.. I use brown or black permanent markers to color it. This way after its been in the water and you havent lost it you can recolor it. .

d683.jpg

Hope to see some of you try it.

I for one do not think these will work at all, after all some dirty canadain named dave tied them, lol, j/k

Dave always did like your ties, still waiting on my FLAMES fly in a shadow box for way back when I was knee high to a turttle.

I for one do not think these will work at all, after all some dirty canadain named dave tied them, lol, j/k

Dave always did like your ties, still waiting on my FLAMES fly in a shadow box for way back when I was knee high to a turttle.

Sure. I'll get right on that.