Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Hooks

tbone

I've been using Tiemco and Diiachi for everything but nymphs. Mustads for nymphs and worms. I have placed a small ( 500) order to Togens and am very pleased with the hook quality. As far as I remember you have to buy in lots of 100/size. The standard drys are a bit shorter than a Tiemco 100. I emailed Togen and asked who makes his hooks and he didn't reply. I also purchased some beads from him and they are good quality. His prices are very reasonable if you buy large enough orders. If not the shipping cost/time kind of sours the deal for me. I do support many of the local fly shops and will always. They need our business too and we certainly need them. Rick.

I've been using Tiemco and Diiachi for everything but nymphs. Mustads for nymphs and worms. I have placed a small ( 500) order to Togens and am very pleased with the hook quality. As far as I remember you have to buy in lots of 100/size. The standard drys are a bit shorter than a Tiemco 100. I emailed Togen and asked who makes his hooks and he didn't reply. I also purchased some beads from him and they are good quality. His prices are very reasonable if you buy large enough orders. If not the shipping cost/time kind of sours the deal for me. I do support many of the local fly shops and will always. They need our business too and we certainly need them. Rick.

I phoned Togens and found out from the gal at the desk that the hooks come out of China. I will not buy anything from that country. I'll stick with north American and British products. I normally buy all my materials from various local suppliers unless it is something not stocked or they can't bring it in.

I phoned Togens and found out from the gal at the desk that the hooks come out of China. I will not buy anything from that country. I'll stick with north American and British products. I normally buy all my materials from various local suppliers unless it is something not stocked or they can't bring it in.

To each his own I guess, I assure you that you purchase fly tie items from China on a regular basis without knowing. I figure 1000 hooks for less than $65 is a good deal. I dont work for them or anything but I have had good luck with their product.

To each his own I guess, I assure you that you purchase fly tie items from China on a regular basis without knowing. I figure 1000 hooks for less than $65 is a good deal. I dont work for them or anything but I have had good luck with their product.

More than likely but as you said, to each his own.

• 3 weeks later...
Im just starting to get back into fly tying again. Im just wondering if anyone has any advice on what brand of hooks to go with? Mustad, Tiemco, Daaichi? Is one better than another? Thanks

I think a more appropriate question would be a question of which style of hook for a particular application. Some brands don't have all the styles of hooks required for certain fly styles. I know of several styles of hook made only by one manufacturer which more or less forces you to use their hook if you follow patterns by the letter.

Scud hooks for example may be better strength wise from one maker while say their nymph hooks straighten easily or are too soft. There is also the thin wire vs heavier wire construction; some makers offer both while others do not.

In reality one cannot say one brand is better than the other overall.