Fly Fusion Forums

Kayak Problem

reevesr1

When I was out yesterday afternoon, I saw a couple of Kayakers, one of whom had rolled his kayak. When I saw him, he was hanging on and drifting downstream in the middle of the river. I started to follow and thinking how/if I could help when his partner saw me, smiled, and said everything is ok. Still walking down the bank and watching, the guy tried to roll the kayak back upright, which he did, but since it was full of water and instantly rolled back over. He tried several more times and you could see him getting exhausted. Fortunately, the first kayaker found a shallow path back to the opposite bank and when I left (and I had been summoned by the wife, so leaving was important) he had made it almost all the way to the opposite bank.

The guy had a lifejacket, so was never really in any danger, but it did get me thinking...Should you kayak the Bow in a non-river kayak, ie, one that fills with water?? The guy was not having any fun at all! Though the Bow can certainly look benign, it is anything but.

Guest bigbadbrent

Im pretty sure i ran into those 2 as they were pulling out at policemens, the one guy was soaked, but had a big smile on his face, and his partner told me he went swimming, many times today

Im pretty sure i ran into those 2 as they were pulling out at policemens, the one guy was soaked, but had a big smile on his face, and his partner told me he went swimming, many times today

Brent,

If it was after 8 PM or so, that was probably them! Particularly if the soaked one was a big bald guy.

I figure thats all part of the fun of kayaking..... I watch a guy go ribs first into a big rock off a small falls on the highwood..... I thought for sure he was gonna be seriously hurt..... he ended up upside down and bailed out and was just loving it..... no serious injury even.....