Fly Fusion Forums

Blue Trout

Guest Sundancefisher

http://www.rainbowrun.net/troutinfo.htm

Very interesting. Never heard of this before. A Blue Trout. Seems like a rare genetic variation of a rainbow trout. Anyone ever see one?

I havnt , I do know that private stillwater fisheries in the UK have been stocking them for a few years where they have gained quite a reputation for their fighting qualities

relic of aquaculture - frankenfish... Akin to hatchery mutants missing maxilla, albinos, etc. To my knowledge, are not known to occur in a natural environment. Poor incubation conditions? Inferior breeding? Inbreeding? Too warm/cold/low oxygen? I am curious what relic of aquacultural conditions would lead to this expression...

never heard of it ive seen pics of golden rainbows and the albinos before.. i think they get picked off pretty quick as younguns if they do happen in teh wild... just a pigment mess up is my guess... would be cool! ive seen some bows that definetly have a blue ish hue too them but never a blue one!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

pfff, my parents are genetic biologist i could probably get you some purple glow in the dark trout if the government would fund it lol.

my guess is its a genetic slip like miss matched eye color.

Guest Sundancefisher
never heard of it ive seen pics of golden rainbows and the albinos before.. i think they get picked off pretty quick as younguns if they do happen in teh wild... just a pigment mess up is my guess... would be cool! ive seen some bows that definetly have a blue ish hue too them but never a blue one!

http://www.utahfishfinder.com/#panguitch

There is a photo of them stocking a lake with only albino rainbows... That would be very odd.

As for the blue trout...sounds like it happens...ergo...maybe we have caught a genetic freak ourselves...and not realized they actually breed the freaks for fishing...

Interesting. I do know I have seen some cool spots on trout...but color variation aside from spotted versus silver...not so much.