Fly Fusion Forums

New To Fly Tyin'

fruinincalgary

Good day.....

As the title states...... My first class at fishtales was last Wed... Friday came down with a nasty bug took a few days off and spent most of the time in bed and a few hours on the vise. Started with some big marabou leeches and worked my way to a golden stone pattern and I also made up a skwala pattern.

3233f35b.jpg

I did'nt notice until I looked at the pic, check out tha top stone... Managed to wrap the wire round the hook...... ooops

85f283ed.jpg

cae23f14.jpg

Skwala

8a4aec8a.jpg

Cheers

Nice looking flies, boy do I wish that I could have had all these fancy materials when I started tying flies 30 years ago!

Tip: get yourself a little aquarium and test your flies in the tank, this will help u learn alot about how certain materials affect the shape and action of a fly under water. Tying flies with basic materials such as peacock, grouse and marabou will greatly improve your tying and understanding of shapes and sillouettes underwater.

Tip: get yourself a little aquarium and test your flies in the tank, this will help u learn alot about how certain materials affect the shape and action of a fly under water. Tying flies with basic materials such as peacock, grouse and marabou will greatly improve your tying and understanding of shapes and sillouettes underwater.

Thanks for tha tip!! In order to make room in the basement for tyin I cleaned a wee bit over the last week and was just about to throw one out

Not a bad start at all. Those stonefly imitations will definetly catch fish in the bow river. When I first started tying flies 25 years ago, they were not as good as your creations, but I still caught trout on them in the River. But back then it was MUCH easier to catch trout in the Bow than it is in our day and age.