Fly Fusion Forums

8wt Rod Advice

FlYiNGuY

Just looking for advice on my next addition to my fly fishing arsenal, I'm looking to purchase an 8wt rod set up, I'm looking for opinions on what to buy, I'm eyeing something around or under $400 so nothing tooo fancy. Just an average GOOD rod.

So far i'm looking at a TFO Ticr-x and a Sage Flight - 8wt's 4 pc. in a 9'0"

The rod will be used for Bones and maybe the odd striped bass and / or salmon. (multi-use until I can get a specific rod for each)

I now use a 5wt TFO Axiom for the bow - just to get an idea of what I'm used to.

Any and all opinions are welcome and ALL rod suggestions too - not just the couple above.

Thanks!

Best bet. Cast them both.

The Fly Fishing Expo is coming up at the end of the month, so you will be able to try them both out without having to travel to different shops to do it.

Shops will more than likely be having Expo Sales to go along with it, so you'll likely get a good deal too.

http://www.flyfishingevents.com

I fish an Echo Ion 7wt for bulls and pike etc. and it can bomb big flies without much effort. The 8wt Ion may be something like what you are looking for at a very affordable price... try casting one if you can...

8wt rod comparison:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8.weight.....comparison.asp

700-8-WEIGHT-SHOOT-OUT.jpg

I don't like TFO. Seen lots break, can be off what the length is advertised, but they are cheap...

I have a Sage Launch (3wt cheaper than flights)... tough beaverdam rod that has taken alot of abuse.

I have a friend who loves his Flight he got last winter... loves it much more than his similar TFO (7wts).

But I would cast them and choose the one that feels best for you.

Great Replies! Thanks everyone!, I will be sure to take the advice of hitting up the fly expo and trying some out!. Thanks Harps for the chart!, My budget will start around half way down the list!.. I have heard rumors of TFO breakage but I have yet to witness one first hand. I wondering if they are adressing this issue.

Anyone have any experience with Albright?

I have two TFO 6 WT rods which I love. (One belongs to the better half). I like their warranty:

I broke the tip on mine horsing a fly stuck in a tree trout. I took it to the place in Calgary, paid my $25 and got a matching tip. Piece of cake and the rod is as good as new. That's nice and convenient and decent service as well.

Still have to admit that the best advice is grab hold of one at the sportsman's show and give it a shiver and a toss and see what feels best to you in your price range. Good luck - it's always fun to shop for fishing stuff! ;mornCoffee::alien:

Good question, as I'm in the same boat with preparing for Cuba this April and am in the market for a 8wt and 10wt. For the folks who know me, I'm typically a Sage guy. However, TFO have come out with a new saltwater series called the BVK. Great saltwater components, including recoil guides. The folks at Fish Tales have field tested the rod on Christmas Island and in Cuba and have been very impressed.

The thing you need to ask yourself is, how often am I going to use it and what do I want to invest. An 8wt is perfect for pike too, so hopefully you'll get use out of it both in warm waters and here back home. When it comes to saltwater, you may want to consider spending any extra $$ on a nice reel as that is the tool that you use that is MOST likely to encounter issues. Keys to look for are good and closed drag systems. Daniellson and now Sage make some dandys, but a high end Ross will work too. I own a Vexis, and it will work for saltwater but you have to be sure to rinse with freshwater VERY OFTEN.

Someone already gave you the best advice, cast a few out. Try not to be upsold by specific names, etc. In the end all that matters is to get the proper tools that will work for the fishing you're doing. As I mentioned, I'm in the same boat outfitting myself after catching the saltwater bug chasing roosters in Mexico, so feel free to PM me if you want me to share any of the additional research I've been doing.

I have two TFO 6 WT rods which I love. (One belongs to the better half). I like their warranty:

I broke the tip on mine horsing a fly stuck in a tree trout. I took it to the place in Calgary, paid my $25 and got a matching tip. Piece of cake and the rod is as good as new. That's nice and convenient and decent service as well.

Still have to admit that the best advice is grab hold of one at the sportsman's show and give it a shiver and a toss and see what feels best to you in your price range. Good luck - it's always fun to shop for fishing stuff! ;mornCoffee::alien:

I will have to also admit I have used the TFO warranty for the tip of my Axiom, but it was not the rods fault a gust of wind and a truck door claimed that one.

Good question, as I'm in the same boat with preparing for Cuba this April and am in the market for a 8wt and 10wt. For the folks who know me, I'm typically a Sage guy. However, TFO have come out with a new saltwater series called the BVK. Great saltwater components, including recoil guides. The folks at Fish Tales have field tested the rod on Christmas Island and in Cuba and have been very impressed.

The thing you need to ask yourself is, how often am I going to use it and what do I want to invest. An 8wt is perfect for pike too, so hopefully you'll get use out of it both in warm waters and here back home. When it comes to saltwater, you may want to consider spending any extra $$ on a nice reel as that is the tool that you use that is MOST likely to encounter issues. Keys to look for are good and closed drag systems. Daniellson and now Sage make some dandys, but a high end Ross will work too. I own a Vexis, and it will work for saltwater but you have to be sure to rinse with freshwater VERY OFTEN.

Someone already gave you the best advice, cast a few out. Try not to be upsold by specific names, etc. In the end all that matters is to get the proper tools that will work for the fishing you're doing. As I mentioned, I'm in the same boat outfitting myself after catching the saltwater bug chasing roosters in Mexico, so feel free to PM me if you want me to share any of the additional research I've been doing.

PM SENT!! - and thanks again!!

The TFO BVK has had great reviews. Supposedly not the best for anything in close unless you over line it, but great for lanuching. Fish Tales told me they liked it as well for Bones. The St.Croix Legend Elite also has the 3m Nano silica stuff and has always had excellent reviews in all it's incarnations. I have the 6# and is a great caster for larger flies. It is also only $450. The BVK is around $300 in Canada (includes a case in Canada, States don't)