Fly Fusion Forums

A Day With My Daughter

My 13 (and very soon to be 14) yr old daughter and I spent the day skiing in Louise today, along with a very good buddy and his son. Thanks to the wonders of temperature inversion, the temps were right around freezing, and probably peaked at +1 or so. Couple that with a big dump of snow the last few days made for one of the best skiing days I have ever had. Add to that a full day with my daughter enjoying the wonderful snow made it even more memorable. The only downside is now all of my kids can beat me down the hill. Oh well, small price to pay.

Last night I had a chance to spend an evening listening to John Wort Hannam, John Mann (Spirit of the West) and Carla Luft. You might wonder how this fits in? Well, Carla is from here in Calgary (and can she flat ass play guitar) and talked about growing up around here. John Mann was fantastic solo. Great stories and great songs. But the reason this all fits is John Wort Hannan. He is from Ft. McLeod, and sings songs about small town life in Southern Alberta. One of his songs was about what he calls his "cathedral", which is located on some land just past "Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump." It really got me thinking about how much I love the country around Ft. McLeod, all the rivers in the area, be they pristine headwaters or some of the excellent tailwater fisheries. While I was on one of the chair lifts today I was thinking about how lucky I am to live somewhere that I can enjoy the outdoors with all my kids in all seasons.

Periodically, at work (I work for a very large multinational company), I am asked by expats from different countries what I think of living here. My answer is always the same "It the winters were shorter, everyone would want to live here." I've met more than a few people who did not like it here that much (though they are certainly in the small minority, we have more problems with people not wanting to leave). I am frankly amazed every time I talk to someone who doesn't like it here. I truly don't understand it, what is not to love?

I know that there will be someone to tell me how great it was back in the day and how much worse it is now. I really couldn't care less. It is great here now. You guys don't know how lucky you are to be from here. They'll only drag me out of here kicking and screaming.

Sounds like y'all had a great day, Tex; good on ya!

Regarding the part about how lucky we are to live here, you're preaching to the choir, my friend; I agree wholeheartedly.

I wasn't born here, but I'm proud to consider myself an Albertan!