Fly Fusion Forums

A Few New Zealand Pictures

Brudis

Guest Sundancefisher

how many fish did you see? I hear they are few and far between. One buddy said the locals eat the trout if they can catch them so you need to be on private land with private access.

how many fish did you see? I hear they are few and far between. One buddy said the locals eat the trout if they can catch them so you need to be on private land with private access.

The answer to your question is it depends. In the lower mataura (famous river,no secret here),there are so many fish you can blind fish and catch up to 20 18-22 inch browns a day.Most rivers have from about 10-40 fish per kilometer though.You'll usually see about 10-25 fish a day and fish to about half.A good day will see you catch about 3-8 fish.Ther's lots of good fishing with easy road or foot access.(I've only fished the south island,not the north)In most of the big fish lakes and rivers that get hit hard the fish can get really hard to catch.That's why i started night fishing.I'd flail a woolly bugger on 15lb tippet for hours on end.Just when i'd think i should get my head examined for beeing out there some monster would eat my fly.The funny thing is it's the most boring way to fish until somthing happens. I'd recomend n.z. to anyone.I go before christmas during their spring.The fish are a little less bombed up then.Alot of peaple go from jan-mar.The weather is ussually better then but there is more preasure too.Its an easy place to rent or buy a car and do it yourself.