Fly Fusion Forums

Planning Any Fishing Trips To Lodges Or Resorts In 2011?

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

When I am looking for a trip I like to know...

What places are in my price range.

What fish species are available

Where it is specifically located

How long are the trips

What type of lodge is it...shore based...anchored or traveling main boat based... etc.

Is there anything else that is important to know from a trip planning perspective?

When I am looking for a trip I like to know...

What places are in my price range.

What fish species are available

Where it is specifically located

How long are the trips

What type of lodge is it...shore based...anchored or traveling main boat based... etc.

Is there anything else that is important to know from a trip planning perspective?

What type of fishing is most often required to catch them ?

I.E if you like to fish with a dry, but the targeted species usually require you to dredge the bottom with half chicken sized streamers, it could be a less than great experience.

Try and find out how many other guests will be at the lodge during your stay.

-less people may mean more time with guides and that you're not racing other guests to known hot spots.

Do you have any food requirements that might negatively impact your stay ?

Vegan ? or maybe you don't care for wild game which might be all what the lodge serves ? Allergies ? Do they have that 100 year old fav scotch of yours?

Sleeping accommodation

recently reno-ed ? After a long day on the water, you don't want to go to bed on a old, lumpy, smelly futon mattress

When is prime time for the specie or species of fish you are after in the location you plan on going to? I would want to go in or around that time.

What gear and flies are best if you are bringing your own?

Are you physically prepared and tuned up in casting skills if going after species that require it? For example I want to be proficient at casting in places perennially windy like much of the Caribbean is. Or physically fit enough and familiar with proper big game fighting techniques if say going after large tarpon.

Search for reports and comments about the lodge or lodges and the place you are considering going to on good boards. Dan Blanton's fly fishing bulletin board comes to mind as a good one if considering a warm saltwater destination or Alaska.