Fly Fusion Forums

Umts Coverage

Well, I spoke with the boss. Being not a very good messenger for bad news, he asked me to cancel my vacation but I refused.

Legally he can still cancel my vacation, but in order to change his mind I offered to take a laptop.

He will be thinking about this over the weekend and get back to me after the weekend with a decision.

For this reason I am inquiring about UMTS coverage in the area between Calgary and say Blairmore.

How is the coverage in that area or do I have to find an Internet Cafe?

Thanks for answering, may be it wil save my vacation.

Rob

(I have found 2 internet cafes in Blairmore, but with the timedifference which means I will be awake at 4.00 am, I was wondering if I can get wireless access so I can work the early morning and go fishing afterwards. That way I am not dependend on the opening of any store.)

Wow thats pretty crappy considering all your planning, cost of travel etc etc

I can't help with your question but you should tell your boss he is about to upset a bunch of Canadians - That's not a good thing, we may go as far as writing a letter, or stomping our feet. obscenities may be uttered !

Seriously though, I hope it works out, I know you have been looking forward to this trip for quite a while. If you were anywhere near my neck of the woods I would offer to set you up.

Dutch:

I case I missed it from earlier, where ya from?

Anyways, I think your boss should pay for a wireless card for your laptop so you can hook up anywhere there's telephone coverage.

Dryfly I think knows some spots - but they may have already been mentioned, but hopefully he'll weigh in on the topic.

Smitty

The Pincher Creek library has a wireless router that can usually be accessed 24 hours from the picnic table on the from lawn. (Once I could not connect from the front lawn--usually works though.)

As others have noted, all of the local libraries all have computers to check webmail, but unless they have 24-hour wireless you can only use when they are open.

Anglers Ridge bed and breakfast at Burmis has a 24-hour wireless--as the two owners both have "office" jobs and work from home. You could contact them...would help if you stayed there for one or two nights. Owners are Wendy and Malcolm--both fly anglers. Here is their website.

http://www.anglersridge.com/contact.htm

Good luck.

Clive

Dutch:

I case I missed it from earlier, where ya from?

Anyways, I think your boss should pay for a wireless card for your laptop so you can hook up anywhere there's telephone coverage.

Dryfly I think knows some spots - but they may have already been mentioned, but hopefully he'll weigh in on the topic.

Smitty

Smitty, I am from The Netherlands. The boss, IF he agrees with my vacation, will provide a laptop and wireless card.

The Pincher Creek library has a wireless router that can usually be accessed 24 hours from the picnic table on the from lawn. (Once I could not connect from the front lawn--usually works though.)

As others have noted, all of the local libraries all have computers to check webmail, but unless they have 24-hour wireless you can only use when they are open.

Anglers Ridge bed and breakfast at Burmis has a 24-hour wireless--as the two owners both have "office" jobs and work from home. You could contact them...would help if you stayed there for one or two nights. Owners are Wendy and Malcolm--both fly anglers. Here is their website.

http://www.anglersridge.com/contact.htm

Good luck.

Clive

Clive, thanks for the info.

No need for the webmail as I have to check my company mail and access our system.

I don't think company-policy allows me to create a VPN-connection on public computers.

GPRS will may be to slow to work but will help with the reading of my mail.

I will check Anglers Ridge and hopefully work something out with my boss.

Rob

Parking outside any hotel/motel that advertises internet has worked for me. I've used both MS remote terminal and LogMeIn to access my office computer. I've trusted the security built into those programs. Also, with Firefox the browser can be set to clear personal info. Just shut-it down and your log-in ID is forgotten. I don't see how there's really any difference in using a VPN from your house or from your laptop. Either can be hacked into by someone who's knowledgeable and determined. What are the chances someone's targeting you?

I'm not sure if we have UMTS here or not. I'm having a little trouble finding good info on it here.

Some sites say yes, but no direct references.

I have a call in to our cell phone god and he'll get back to me sometime today.

I'll post the info when I know.

If you are looking for a wireless solution for vpn on a laptop there are a couple other options.

If you have a PCMCIA slot you can use 1X or EDGE.

1x

http://www.scitrav.com/1X/

available from:

http://www.telusmobility.com/about/press_r...echnology.shtml

Edge

http://www.shoprogers.com/business/wireles...R&summary=1

I hope this helps. If you contact them have your PC specifications handy so they can make sure it'll work for you or find you a solution that will.

Talk to your IT geeks and see if any of these will work for you.

It would be a shame to have to cancel a trip like this just because your boss can't live without you for a while.

Good luck

Thanks, Bobr.

After some Googling I found that we also have Edge datacards overhere.

Edge is an upgrade from GPRS.

But most of Europe is on UMTS and now upgrading to HSDPA.

Will talk to the IT geeks to get the right card.

Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Rob