Fly Fusion Forums

Flies For Fundraising

BrianS

Hi all,

The K-4 school that I teach at is hosting an Artisan's Fair in early December to raise money for our school library AND a local charity (either ACH, Inn From The Cold or the Caring Clowns Association). Basically students, working with their teachers, create pieces of art, books, videos, etc (the idea list is getting bigger and bigger) to be sold with all raised money being split 50/50 between our library and the chosen charity. This is also a chance for some of the teachers to showcase any artistic-ish talents they may have and I thought of tying up some flies to sell on the night.

While I think I'm a decent tier, I'm also painfully slow...like slower than my grandpa walking with ankle weights. Knowing this, I need to keep my list of what to tie to a minimum...effective but easy to tie, such as Elk Hair Caddis. I seem to be a little dry on ideas...any suggestions? Dries, nymphs, whatever... Also, what do you think a fair price for these would be? A buck each? Make packs of a dozen? Select your own? Other ideas?

Also, for any of you 200 flies per hour Nor-Vise owners, if you're interested in donating a few flies to the cause my school and I would truly appreciate it! (Just throwin it out there...)

Thanks,

Brian

How about GRHEs, zebra nymphs, cdc mayfly duns, san juan worms, chenille stoneflies, quick leeches, and woolly buggers? All relatively simple and easy to tie yet effective. If you go to one of the local shops and take a look at their "learn how to tie" books the first few patterns in them should be quick and easy ones as well.

Griffiths gnat, chronies, chernobyl ants

Having done this type of thing in the past, don't tie big flies and don't tie small ones. If you want to make it real simple get some cheap flyboxes and put in a "beginner Bow River" selection of 4 X 3 flies. It looks artistic and you can do as many up as you want and charge $20+/box.