Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Comparison

bbhill

I am currently looking to buy a new fly rod specifically for the bow but one that is also versatile enough to use on the crow or highwood. I've read on this board about some suggestions but wondering if anyone can help me narrow it down between these. TFO professional series, TFO TiCr, Albright A-5, Cabela's Stowaway 6. I know there are more expensive rods out there that may perform better but I need to stay in under or near the $200 range. I often carry it on my motorcycle in the summer so some of the 5 or 6 pieces are somewhat appealing in that regards. Also, I was planning on buying a 9' 6 wt. but am questioning if this is the best size/weight for an all around rod on the bow. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have only owned cheaper rods and am not an expert in the field. Thanks.

I understand your concern with respect to price as well as the overall length of the rod tube since you will be riding a bike to some spots. I have never cast any of the rods you mentioned but it really doesn't matter what I think of the various rods. It is of utmost importance how each of these rods perform for you. My suggestion is to take your time deciding and to take the time to cast each rod that you are interested in. I would make sure that I stayed within the same line weight for each demo.

As far as which weight rod to buy, I personally use my 6 weight for the Bow River. It works well for me because I tend to throw double nymph rigs with a strike indicator. I have landed some 20" fish with my 4 weight as well but I find that the lighter weight line is affected by the all too frequent winds we get in the south part of the province. If you already have a reel loaded up with a specific line weight, that is the size of rod I would be targetting.

Anyhow, whichever rod you decide on, I think it would be a mistake to buy anything based on someone elses opinion. I really feel that it has to work for your particular casting style.

Good luck and have fun deciding. Sometimes the shopping can be a lot of fun. All of the shops that I have dealt with are excellant at helping to make the right choice. Besides, they may give you a few pointers to improve your casting stroke.

Murray

I have the TFO Professional 4wt and it's perfect on the Highwood but I'd say it's a bit slow and light for the Bow, not sure about a 5 weight in a TFO. I have a 5 weight Wright 5 piece that I picked up off someone in the forum and it's probably the perfect rod for both rivers if I could only have one.

I also picked up a 8 piece 7 weight LL Bean that I just recently took on my travels and I'd have to to say that if it was a 5 weight it probably would be even better than the Wright. They have a 6 weight for $195 and their shipping is free. It packs down so small you could almost put it in your jacket pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate all the advice shared. Unfortunately I'm not currently in Calgary so was unable to act on some of those good deals on kajiji and this forum. Haven't decided yet for sure but going to test a few more rods just been really busy. Our second child was born three weeks ago so the any thought of fishing has been on hold for a bit but I'll get out soon.