Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Time?

Folks,

Municipal Govts spend a sack of money each year on recreation for the residents. Swimming holes, hockey arenas, golf courses, soccer fields, ball diamonds, dog parks and the like. Now I not use any of the above but do fish as do several of the folks on this board.

Is it time that municipal politicians spent some money on fishing?

Access to the Bow within the city is but one place where money should be spent.

Is this an issue that should be brought to the public political forum. I know that it will not compete with the above listed programs but perhaps of the $70,000,000 some could be used for fishing related programs.

By the way - a lot more people fish than golf.

catch ya'

Don

Unfortunately Don, "fishing" doesn't generate the same amount of tax revenue (even the residual spent on gear, etc.) that "golf courses" and "arenas", (specifically) do - less so with golf b/c the season is so short and the maintenance costs are so high (all other forms of "public recreation", i.e. sports fields, pools, libraries, etc. lose $ annually), so unless a municipality wants to start charging for boat launches (or to use the new kayaking course, as an example), or to fish the lakes, rivers and streams, "it ain't gonna happen"!

P

Guest Sundancefisher
Folks,

Municipal Govts spend a sack of money each year on recreation for the residents. Swimming holes, hockey arenas, golf courses, soccer fields, ball diamonds, dog parks and the like. Now I not use any of the above but do fish as do several of the folks on this board.

Is it time that municipal politicians spent some money on fishing?

Access to the Bow within the city is but one place where money should be spent.

Is this an issue that should be brought to the public political forum. I know that it will not compete with the above listed programs but perhaps of the $70,000,000 some could be used for fishing related programs.

catch ya'

Don

I agree. I think it would be awesome if they help create more put and take lakes within municipal limits to encourage kids to fish. Lake like Hermitage was awesome having growing up. When building a new community...why not make them dig a hole in a park area deep enough for a stocked lake...catch and release during Spring and Summer and harvest in late fall...if budget restricted or low limit restocking over the year.

ÜberFly,

NO public funded recreation facility generates a profit so the point is mute. Just think of the tax revenue generated if public golf courses were converted to housing.

Clearly, the only thing that Calgary does is maintain enough nutrient going to the Bow to feed the bugs/fishes.

I don't paddle in the concrete pond, chase my ball along a field, flog the ground or slip or slide away so- the question remains - what are Municipal Govts doing for the folks that fish.

Don