Fly Fusion Forums

Steelhead

jononfire

My Dad and I along with my younger brother are planning to go steelheading next year. We have our eyes set on the skeena system. I know there are a fair number of ppl on this board that head there regularly or have been and i was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good guide. Or plan is to fish on the way out and then a couple days steelheading with a guide and a couple on our own then fish on out way back. We wont be staying in any of the lodges i have found on the internet as the cost is incredible. So if anyone knows of a good guide in the area that would take us our for a couple of days that would be great as we will probably book for next year within a few months.

Thanks to all

I moved to Smithers from Calgary this last spring. I met a local fishing guide by the name of Bob Hull at the archery range. I think he offers a bed and breakfast style of accommodations with his guiding. He's a tough guy to google because you get the hockey player. There are plenty of people who fish the area without a guide and stay at one of the local hotels. The local fishing stores can help you out as well, McBike or Oscars.

There is plenty of fish-able water above Smithers that you can wade, and this year its not that hard to get into fish because there are so many steelhead in the water right now. Its a good year.

If you make it up next year you are welcome to look me up.

Cheers.

Oag.

Yes, the Steelhead fishing is fantastic but I have not been doing much. About 3 weeks ago I caught one I could not get an inch of line on. It was a brute who raced down river until it popped the hook.

The river is real busy with many tourists in for the season, so its been hard. Apparently, locals hit the river in October and fish until freeze up when most people go home. So I will play with the Coho until then.

Cheers.

Oag.

this is Bobs website, http://www.steelheadexcursions.com/ . He isnt the only show in town. I would recommend the bulkley river lodge, http://www.steelheadbc.com/ . They cover the whole river tip to toe, jetboats or rafts,and gourmet food. All the guides are great guys and great fisherman.

You will also find that on most rivers up there, outfits only do one week trips. This helps eliminate plans like yours of (guided a couple of days, shown some spots and then do it yourself in those same spots)

PK

this is Bobs website, http://www.steelheadexcursions.com/ . He isnt the only show in town. I would recommend the bulkley river lodge, http://www.steelheadbc.com/ . They cover the whole river tip to toe, jetboats or rafts,and gourmet food. All the guides are great guys and great fisherman.

You will also find that on most rivers up there, outfits only do one week trips. This helps eliminate plans like yours of (guided a couple of days, shown some spots and then do it yourself in those same spots)

PK

Unfortunately the cost of those trips are WAY out of our budget. Just cuz someone shows us a couple of runs does not mean we are not capable of finding our own! Thats part of the fun!

this year its not that hard to get into fish because there are so many steelhead in the water right now. Its a good year.

Ok that does it! I am gonna skip a week of school! LOL.

*sigh*

I am really gonna be twitching badly here in a week or two. I have fever bad and can't go for 2 yrs.

Unfortunately the cost of those trips are WAY out of our budget. Just cuz someone shows us a couple of runs does not mean we are not capable of finding our own! Thats part of the fun!

If you can find your own, why bother with a guide (that you cant afford)?