Fly Fusion Forums

Crash Course Needed

loeber

I am heading to Bella Coola the first week of October to fish and have never cast a spey rod before. I need to gear up and figure out some basic casting by then. Anybody willing to show a guy the ropes and or suggest some video or an instructor? or am I right out to lunch thinking that I can pick it up in the next couple of weeks with only 4-5 hours a week to practice.

Help!!>>...???

Dan.

I am heading to Bella Coola the first week of October to fish and have never cast a spey rod before. I need to gear up and figure out some basic casting by then. Anybody willing to show a guy the ropes and or suggest some video or an instructor? or am I right out to lunch thinking that I can pick it up in the next couple of weeks with only 4-5 hours a week to practice.

Help!!>>...???

Dan.

Hi dan

Couple things. Got your email and replied. Are you taking the rod you brought over to my house and did you get a reel

I took less then 4 hours and was enough to get me going good to catch fish. Crash course would do. And you"ll get lots of pratice while fishing. Contact. Greg. "Toolman"l. He"ll help you out. He"s good with setting your rod and lines up also. He"s helping a bunch of guys get tuned befor they head out steelhead fishing.

If you need another meiser rod or anything. Let me know and I"ll help you that way. But I highly rec greg and he"Ll steer you in the right direction

Call or email if you need any info or some good spots

I know it is doable and seeing that you already have some help I think you are in for a good time. My first time with the speyrod I had had only 2 hours of instructions by a friend (Dutchdryfly) and a couple of hours watching videos on speycasting. On the first day of fishing after that I caught 10 fish so you should be allright with the practice you still can get.

Last year was my second time flyfishing the speyrod on a large river and I realy had a blast. I still am improving in my casting but getting the hang of it well enough to catch fish is doable with a crash course.