Fly Fusion Forums

Down Eye Vs Straight Eye

CanuckCamper

Hmm, trying to see what the difference or I suspect preference is between a hook with a down eye or straight eye is.

For example Tiemco's TMC 100 vs TMC 101.

Are there particular applications where one makes more sense than the other? or is it a preference / look thing?

Thanks in advance.

CC

• 1 month later...

With all due respect my results over the last 55 years tying and fishing have been different, I have found nochange in hooking and holding power in up, straight and down eyes. This as long as the knot is well tied for the hook. Most Steelhead and salmon hooks are up eyed with solid holding power.

Down-eyes provide better hooking and holding, straight-eyes are good on tiny hooks because they widen the gape.

Some is preference, some is look, others function. For example for a fly that you need to tie a riffle hitch on to skid the fly on the surface, I find up eye works better. Atlantic salmon and Steelhead patterns look better in up eye classic (just my opinion).

x2

As for eye style affecting hooking and holding power, I think this is more a factor of shank length and style of bend.