Fly Fusion Forums

Were You On The Bow This Morning?

Hey

Just wanted to see if I met someone on this board today.

I was on the bow this morning, gave you a wave across the water. Then I asked for some advice on how to properly nymph with an indicator. You gave me some awesome advice. Thank you so much. I am just learning the ropes and you helped a ton. Landed two little rainbows after that. I yelled tight lines to you before I went walking....and you replied broken reel.

The one thing that I have noticed about this sport is the camaraderie. Whether it be in a fly shop or on the river most people are always willing to give advice or just shoot the *hit. I love this about the sport, most tell me it is a solitary sport, but outside of actual fishing I don't believe this is so.

A couple of other questions that came about while I was fishing.

When I was tossing my nymph rig I had a fish attack my pink indicator twice in 5 seconds (I know I know PINK, I can see this color the best). So I switched over hopper dropper in case they were deciding to rise. Was this the correct move?

Second, the second rainbow, I caught him by the tail, yes the actual tail, why did this happen? Did he miss my copper john and then get hooked? It was funny to me anyhow.

Before I switched over tot he hopper dropper, I had two fish get away from me pretty quickly. I think in my excitement I forget to set the hook. How hard should I be pulling when I set the hook in the future?

Have a great day.

J,

I find whities tend to hit indicators quite often, so if there wasn't other "consistantly" rising fish, you could have probably kept on nymphing (they like the pink & orange indicators, it seems)...

In regards to you foul hooking the Rainbow... How much tippet was between your flies? One of the reasons why fish get fouled with multiple nymph rigs is because there is not enough distance between the flies... Make sure you have at least 16" - 18" between your flies... He probably went for your first fly (or was hooked on your 1st fly) and spit the hook and then got tagged in the tail with your 2nd (or 3rd - if you were using a 3 nymph rig).

And when you set, set it like you mean it (if you ever see rickr on the water - you'll know who he is as his hook sets scare the $hit out of you!! LoL - Hawgstoppah taught him well!)! I too could use a harder hook set!! So yeah, set it like you are going to make a 60 foot cast behind you!!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Peter

Your foul hooking ratio will go down the longer you fish, I think. And I gotta admit that I don't have 16-18" btwn flies. More like 8". Just an ease thing, I don't really know if it makes my foul hook rate go up or not. Possibly, but I think it keeps my tanglings to a minimum.

And I learned from Hawg second hand. Nymphing hooksets via Maxwell, with an assist from years on the gulf coast. You should have seen my 15 yr old's hooksets with dry flies this weekend. He said, "it's not like saltwater fishing". No kidding.

I do remember fishing with Maxwell on the Liv one day. I was having a rough go, hooking many fish and loosing most of them. Max climbs up on a cliff to watch. A cuttie comes up and I set the hook, fight the fish for 2 seconds and it is off. Max says "I think I see the problem. Did you see how after you hooked him he came right to the surface? Yeah, he didn't want to do that. You need to cool it on the saltwater hooksets dude."