Fly Fusion Forums

Who Do You Call?

I need some help and a chance to vent a bit. I was at Ware Creek today doing a little fishing and scouting for bow season. I was working my way downstream from the Ware Creek Rec area parking lot when I had to detour into the bush to get around some deadfall. There is a meadow just a little less than a km down from the parking lot where there is access to the creek and signs people camp there sometimes, I imagine some of you are familiar with it. I'd heard music for a while so I knew somebody was there but what I saw when I came out of the trees was brutal. There's a nice corner pool there just before a riffle where livestock and atvs cross. Upstream of that there is a wide rocky bank that had TWO Dodge Dakotas parked on it with some tents and a little camp setup behind them. These jerkoffs had used the meadow to gain access to the creek and rather than drive across had then turned upstream to drive the 30 meters to their spot. There wasn't even enough room for the trucks side by side, one of them had two tires in the creek!

This part of Ware is never going to be a hot spot or anything but it was one of the first places I did any small creek fishing and I am rather fond of it. I can't explain how angry I was as I made my way down past a completely destroyed pool to see the creek choked with silt all the way down past the next several turns.

I was so mad I completely forgot that I had a camera in my pack. I decided to make my way back up through the meadow to see if I could get their plate numbers, unfortunately I ran into the five idiots belonging to the trucks before I made it over there. I wasn't going to say a damn thing until one of them asked me how the fishing was... let's just say I have a bit of a temper at times. I opened up with "Fine until some stupid A$$hole parked his truck in the stream" then I really let fly. They seemed astonished I'd have a problem with this. This confrontation kept me from being able to sneak over and get their plate numbers without thing getting ugly though. However I am supposed to head out to the same area tomorrow to scout around a bit more with a buddy. If we can get some pictures of these pricks who can I call? Would it be an SRD thing? Is there anyone that will charge these guys with destroying fish habitat or something?

I beginning to understand why some of the members here get so upset about random camping.

I need some help and a chance to vent a bit. I was at Ware Creek today doing a little fishing and scouting for bow season. I was working my way downstream from the Ware Creek Rec area parking lot when I had to detour into the bush to get around some deadfall. There is a meadow just a little less than a km down from the parking lot where there is access to the creek and signs people camp there sometimes, I imagine some of you are familiar with it. I'd heard music for a while so I knew somebody was there but what I saw when I came out of the trees was brutal. There's a nice corner pool there just before a riffle where livestock and atvs cross. Upstream of that there is a wide rocky bank that had TWO Dodge Dakotas parked on it with some tents and a little camp setup behind them. These jerkoffs had used the meadow to gain access to the creek and rather than drive across had then turned upstream to drive the 30 meters to their spot. There wasn't even enough room for the trucks side by side, one of them had two tires in the creek!

This part of Ware is never going to be a hot spot or anything but it was one of the first places I did any small creek fishing and I am rather fond of it. I can't explain how angry I was as I made my way down past a completely destroyed pool to see the creek choked with silt all the way down past the next several turns.

I was so mad I completely forgot that I had a camera in my pack. I decided to make my way back up through the meadow to see if I could get their plate numbers, unfortunately I ran into the five idiots belonging to the trucks before I made it over there. I wasn't going to say a damn thing until one of them asked me how the fishing was... let's just say I have a bit of a temper at times. I opened up with "Fine until some stupid A$$hole parked his truck in the stream" then I really let fly. They seemed astonished I'd have a problem with this. This confrontation kept me from being able to sneak over and get their plate numbers without thing getting ugly though. However I am supposed to head out to the same area tomorrow to scout around a bit more with a buddy. If we can get some pictures of these pricks who can I call? Would it be an SRD thing? Is there anyone that will charge these guys with destroying fish habitat or something?

I beginning to understand why some of the members here get so upset about random camping.

So you meet the stupid & uncaring - go get 'em. Here are some numbers:

Calgary Office

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

7646, 8th St. NE

Calgary, Alberta

T2E 8X4

Fax: 403-292-5173

General Inquiries: 403-292-5160

Southern Region Alberta Environment

Calgary

#303 Deerfoot Square Building

2938 11 Street, N.E.

Calgary, Alberta

T2E 7L7

Phone: (403) 297-7602

Fax: (403) 297-6069

If you see an environmental emergency, phone the 24-hour Alberta Environmental Hotline at 1-800-222-6514.

Its also a no OHV area. There shouldnt be any motorized vehicles in there no matter how they arrived.

I like that place.

Do your best to keep them out. Its worth calling it in.

Steelhead

Typically this type of issue is best directed at ASRD lands division. Photos of the people and the vehicles are great along with images of the silt. ASRD or DFO would likely have to "prove" that this issue was a harmful alteration or destruction of habitat- and that is very hard via word of mouth. An image of the trucks in the creek outside and ohv area with images of the drivers goes a long way to setting a complaint. Good luck

• 2 months later...