Fly Fusion Forums

Caught My First Fish On The Fly Rod!!

soggysocks63

Ok, really...its my second fish, but the first was a 7'' bow(Makes it a fry not a fish right?)...Doesn't make for a great story anyway :P. This guy would be my first cast using a streamer...Its been almost 2 weeks now and I can't replicate what I did :( I did run down to the river just after it finished pouring so the water was a bit murky. Might have helped a bit, not sure.

22''-23'' Cork on my road is 7'' so I am approximating

dscn1622j.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

about 10 hours out on the water since then and haven't caught a thing...I hope my luck isn't dried up :(

Guest Jeremie

Thats a nice brown, jesus i wish my first fish on a fly was that! But i cant complain my first was a 16" rainbow (or a 16" brookie im unsure)!

lol, was a crash course on how to actually land a fish with fly rod. No butt section to apply leverage while he peeled line off the reel, just reeling it in felt awkward but, I don't think its as bad of thing to reel against the drag on a fly reel.

Then having the fly line at the tip of the rod and not being anywhere close to grabbing the fish...I know its a risk reeling your leader though the guides when is fish is on but, what choice did i have.

in the end i managed and gained a sense of pride in confidence for fly fishing

Nice looking fish man, imagine that was a major surprise. I love streamer fishing such a good time, and usually seems to yield a good fight with an aggressive fish.

Like everyone else said, if I got a fish that big early on all the fish after would seem like minnows. Sure the luck hasn't run out though just takes time to develop all the different techniques.

I got 3 fish my first day then went on 4 short trips before catching anything again.

Nice Brown. Even if its 7 inchs if it has fins and breaths water its a fish.

My god if that fish is seven inches thats the smallest fly rod I've ever seen. :kingswim: Nice brown cant even remember my first fish but I haven't stopped using a fly rod since than.

Ok, really...its my second fish, but the first was a 7'' bow(Makes it a fry not a fish right?)...Doesn't make for a great story anyway :P. This guy would be my first cast using a streamer...Its been almost 2 weeks now and I can't replicate what I did :( I did run down to the river just after it finished pouring so the water was a bit murky. Might have helped a bit, not sure.

22''-23'' Cork on my road is 7'' so I am approximating

dscn1622j.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

about 10 hours out on the water since then and haven't caught a thing...I hope my luck isn't dried up :(

Beautiful fish and what a great start! Now you put the bar high. Keep on hooking!

Nice fish soggy , great start! That's a sweet looking healthy male brownie!! :)

Just for future fish, please if your alone and need a pic put them in the water beside your rod or something .. the grass he's in can remove his slime coating and open him up to catching diseases. Slime on a fish is like their immune system. I also made the mistake of posting pics like this long ago and got reemed out too... just letting you know for furture.... read the "before you post pics of fish" thread on here too it'll help give you a good idea.... keep on fishing man your doing good the Bow is tough.. I remember my first BUNCH of trips on it were nothing.. probably the first 20 or so full days... then I started to figure things out slowly.

Cheers! :D

I'll second what Hawg said, keep 'em in the water! You can often have a fish lay on its side in shallow water and hold still if you take the fly from its jaw or remove the tension from the line, allowing a photo or two. No need to take them out and the pics look a lot better laying in water than on the bank. Try it! The less time away from the water, the greater odds of survival. Nice Fish by the way, must have been a riot for you!

I honestly thought the wet grass was going to be safer from him then the rough rocks. I did stomp it down and rested him on the bed in 6'' of water. You have my word though, once I have a new proper net, all pics will be in deeper water where I don't even have to worry him smacking into the rocks or rubbing in the grass.

It was an exciting moment for sure, was like the 20lbs sturgeon fight all over again I caught while fishing for walleyes. Gotta love that feeling of hearing your drag scream and wondering what the hell just grabbed your hook.