Fly Fusion Forums

Forestry Trunk Road Fishing

Xplorer

Hey Guys,

I took a trip down south on Friday and fished almost until dark on one stream. The fishing was slow at first but once I got the feel for the area it went alot better. I have not been down south in a long time. The last time I can think of I was a kid and the road to Chain lakes was gravel. I saw quite a few trailers and fifthwheels doing the random camping thing, but the setups seemed clean and well kept. I saw few atv's crossing the road but no major problems or atv's in the stream, but I only hiked about 4kms up and down stream. Once I left my truck I did not see another soul on the water but did see indications that people had been there. The disturbing part was the blood and entrails from fish that were harvested on a catch and release only water.

The fishing was good, with lots of mayfly nymphs on the rocks and in the air. I used a yellow stimmy with a black tung-stud dropper all day. I caught fairly even numbers of fish on each but the larger fish were always on the dropper.

It was great day to be out of the city and wandering around the forestry.

Here's a bunch of pics

IMGP0177.jpg

IMGP0174.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

IMGP0192.jpg

IMGP0195.jpg

IMGP0196.jpg

Here's some pics of the mayflies I was seeing, not sure about which type of mayfly they are yet.

IMGP0201.jpg

IMGP0206.jpg

IMGP0211.jpg

A few more fish.....

IMGP0213.jpg

Hey must have been around where I was on the August long weekend, I got 7 fish that looked very similar. It is a great spot, I am very excited to go back again soon.

Glad to see you had such a great time and that the pics turned out so great, thanks for posting.

The disturbing part was the blood and entrails from fish that were harvested on a catch and release only water.

Please, please, please still call the RAP line if you haven't already done so. Let them know exactly where this was. Give them the details. Let them know the license plates of the campers in the area. Give them everything you can. We can be disgusted at these kinds of things or we can act on them. The gov't based "need" on the amount of calls received... so call, call, call... even if you see an old bait can down there.

Great pics of a wonderfull river + fish ... crazy you got that much room on it to yourself though, almost unheard of!! :D

Please, please, please still call the RAP line if you haven't already done so. Let them know exactly where this was. Give them the details. Let them know the license plates of the campers in the area. Give them everything you can. We can be disgusted at these kinds of things or we can act on them. The gov't based "need" on the amount of calls received... so call, call, call... even if you see an old bait can down there.

Great pics of a wonderfull river + fish ... crazy you got that much room on it to yourself though, almost unheard of!! :D

Wise words Hawgstoppah.

And Xplorer, great pics and fish. Looks like an amazing time. Love the dark spots on those cutties and the colour in their cheeks. Healthy fish.

Thanks for the advice Hawgstoppah.

I did not call it in due to the stains looked to be over a day old, so I thought there would be nothing SRD could do. There were no campers or vehicles where I was on the river.

I will still call it in at least they can check the area out in future, maybe they will get lucky and catch them another time. If they did it once, they will do it again. Still pisses me off.

Lance