Fly Fusion Forums

Dry-hopper-dropper Setup?

fishfreak

I was wondering if anyone has tried putting a smaller dry such as an Adams on top, then a hopper, and then a dropper? This seems like a big setup, but I've been torn lots of times with whether to go with a smaller dryfly or a nymph. If everything works out, you would have a fly that matches the hatch, an attractor/terrestrial, and a nymph for those fish that like to eat the underwater stuff. To me, this would solve the issue. However, I'm not sure how feasible it would be on a smaller rod.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Hey,

On rare occassion I have done this; however, there is something about it that just doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't make sense because lots of people don't think twice about using three nymhs in sequence (I don't usually but that is beside the point). It may be slightly awkward to cast on a smaller rod but provided that you're comfortable with that it may be an effective way to have multiple presentations. One point of caution: if your leading fly is a #20 be careful tying to the bottom flies to the shank of that hook as it is likely to be quite flexible and could be easily straightened during a fight with a bigger fish.

Brandon

I've done the smaller fly on top and then 6" to the hopper but never put a dropper on yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've had no issues with fish snatching either the hopper or the smaller fly, they'll eat what they want to. I've seen it many times where there's a couple different insects on the top of the water but the fish will key in on one bug and leave the other right beside it alone. Jim McLennan also told me in a class that the fish don't care about dries being close to each other and I respect the experience he's built up. Almost every time I put two dries on and think to myself that one of them will scare the fish, I'm usually pleasantly surprised.

The only issue with this setup of course is if you get broken off or snagged you'll have a chance to lose all three hooks.