Fly Fusion Forums

My First Bull Trout

PrarieCreekFlyer

Guest bigbadbrent

countdown till people chastise you for taking "too long" and "undertackling", i'd give it 20 minutes

nice fish...don't worry what the critics say, few ppl see a fish that big

Would have been quicker but everytime we tried to get near him with a net he'd make a hard run and there was no stoppin it. Also if I would have even thought there was a 28 inch fish in there I would have had 2x and my 7 weight rod, but hey its not everyday you get to hook set anything like this let alone plan on it.

Congrats bud...I don't think anyone is going to say anything about your ethics...dude 4x is fine anyways, and 10 minutes isn't too bad considering that anyone who's fished lower k with a 3 wt can tell you...cough....dave....cough....sjw...cough.

countdown till people chastise you for taking "too long" and "undertackling", i'd give it 20 minutes

nice fish...don't worry what the critics say, few ppl see a fish that big

Why would anyone Chastise someone for fishing for a 28" fish with 4x? 10 minutes is very reasonable as well.

I've been fishing for awhile now and personally can't see the challenge in dragging in a fish on 1x or 2x in 30 seconds. Big fish on light gear is not only more of a challenge, it's hopefully the goal of a newer fisherman to be able to be less reliant on heavy equipment to land their catch. If your tippet is matched to the rod and the fish is played correctly, you should be able to land fish of this size and larger with no problems. Ten minutes is not too long as long as care is taken in the release as well.

If barbless hooks are used, snap offs are not a problem either.

This is why the Records aren't just rated by the size of the fish. They are rated by the size of the fish and the gear used to catch it.

Take 2x up to the Big Browns in the Red Deer or Stauffer, or pretty much any of the rivers in Montana and see how many fish you catch.

Nice fish and nice picture as well.