Fly Fusion Forums

Golden Trout

fishpro

Took the hike into Barnaby yesterday hoping to catch my first Golden Trout and I wasn't disappointed. I had about a 50lb pack on and the hike took 3 hours. It definitely wasn't an easy hike, but I wouldn't consider it a brutal hike that would kill you either. Let's just say it was difficult enough to make it rewarding when I finally got to land a few of these incredible fish.

A view of the trail:

031.jpg

A few Goldens:

053.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

My grandfather had the expression "something's always going to go wrong" when it came to fishing trips. This trip was no exception - a squirrel found my hiking boots and decided to eat away at the laces. Here's what I wore to get back down the trail:

065.jpg

Dustin,

Looks like a great trip... How was it solo?

By the by, that's one of the reasons why I have a spare set of laces in my repair kit, but you will learn "grasshopper" ;)!!

Glad you got into a couple and they look like they are on the bigger side from what I've seen/read!!

So are you glad you didn't hike in and out each day?! :P

P

P.S Nice MacGyver job on the boots (or are you too young to appreciate that comment :P)!!

Took the hike into Barnaby yesterday hoping to catch my first Golden Trout and I wasn't disappointed. I had about a 50lb pack on and the hike took 3 hours. It definitely wasn't an easy hike, but I wouldn't consider it a brutal hike that would kill you either. Let's just say it was difficult enough to make it rewarding when I finally got to land a few of these incredible fish.

Did you end up spending the night?

Nice Fish. There's nothing else like em.

Cheers

If you just go up early in the morn as a day trip your pack will be light and it shouldn't be a very tough day. I went up one day last summer just to figure out where the trail actually was and I got to the lake in 1 hr 10mins. I'm not in that great shape. With it being that accessible, it really makes it unneccessary to spend a night there, which is probably a good decision. The place where people camp is all dirt because it has wiped out that fragile vegetation that can't handle people camping on it. It would probably take 50 yrs or more to ever recover, if it did at all.

A better idea would be to go early in the morn, fish all day and come down by headlamp if necessary--it's a very good trail-- and you should still have many hours to fish without further trashing the vegetation by camping. my 2 cents.