Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing/camping Alone

What does everyone think about hiking into a lake and staying for a few days on their own? I've spent lots of time alone in the woods fishing and once in a rustic campground, is it a bad idea to go on your own? Has anyone here done it? I'm thinking of going in for Golden Trout for a few days and was thinking of going alone if I can't find anyone to go with.

If you are comfortable with it I wouldn't see a problem, there was a day when trappers and traders lived alone in wilder times for much longer than a weekend. I've walked from Grande Cache to Ptarmigan lake via Jackpine river and from Grande Cache to Kakwa falls via Rim Ridge then South Kakwa/famm/trench creek. Both took about ten days in pretty wild country, and I'm still here. I don't think there's much greater chance of something going wrong, you just don't have backup if it does.

That said my girlfriend and I are likely heading into rainy ridge lake next weeked so if you want to come along send me a PM

Rob

What does everyone think about hiking into a lake and staying for a few days on their own? I've spent lots of time alone in the woods fishing and once in a rustic campground, is it a bad idea to go on your own? Has anyone here done it? I'm thinking of going in for Golden Trout for a few days and was thinking of going alone if I can't find anyone to go with.

As long as you let someone know when you entered and when you are expecting to be back along with a detailed map of your expected route will make it easier for the seachers to bring out what is left.

I can understand your want for a dreamed fishing trip rolled together with a bit of the survivor roll but in reality heading into the woods alone is not a great idea.

I don't know you but I would still be bothered by the fact a fellow fisherman is not making it back home because of the butalities of nature itself.

Buddy up, it is always better to experinced a great time with someone like minded.

I have done a few solo backpacking trips in New York's Adirondack Mtns and I loved it. Let people know like "jusfloatin"says and do it!!

BTW... Talkin' to yourself is normal and recommmended in bear country!!!

Read this, http://flyfishcalgary.com/flyfisher_survival_kit.php , I think the important part for your adventure is the Spot information.. you can borrow one, and have the owner set it up with your info, temporarily.

I have done a lot of solo fly fishing and even hunting trips , the hunting trips are day trips but the fly fishing have been as long as a week, with only the Dog(s) to talk to.. Love it for my own reasons...

remember this..

Failing to plan is planing to fail...

All that being said, Barnaby Ridge, is closed they are installing an sewage plant there for the ski hill, so you may want to skip it... they moved all the imaginary fish to Nicolas Sharon Lake in Lethbridge.. Rainy ridge, the lake collapsed and there is a mud hole there now..

Just stay home and fish the Toilet Bow river.

Read this, http://flyfishcalgary.com/flyfisher_survival_kit.php , I think the important part for your adventure is the Spot information.. you can borrow one, and have the owner set it up with your info, temporarily.

I have done a lot of solo fly fishing and even hunting trips , the hunting trips are day trips but the fly fishing have been as long as a week, with only the Dog(s) to talk to.. Love it for my own reasons...

remember this..

Failing to plan is planing to fail...

All that being said, Barnaby Ridge, is closed they are installing an sewage plant there for the ski hill, so you may want to skip it... they moved all the imaginary fish to Nicolas Sharon Lake in Lethbridge.. Rainy ridge, the lake collapsed and there is a mud hole there now..

Just stay home and fish the Toilet Bow river.

I have a SPOT unit that I do not need anymore...I was using it when I was doing my pilots license. PM me if you are interested...

I have a SPOT unit that I do not need anymore...I was using it when I was doing my pilots license. PM me if you are interested...

Rufus28,

If that is directed towards me, I never leave home for an outdoor adventrue in the mountains or anywhere else without mine.

Do you have another means of Emergency Notification now that you have your pilots lic, that you do not need the SPOT? Heaven forbid the plane go down and or comms be lost on the plane, I think the spot would be a great "Back UP in that case.

I have no stake in or anything thing like that in SPOT. just think they are a great tool.

80% of my fishing is sole simply because not too many of my friends are as crazy about fishing as I am and I find I catch more by myself.

As for camping...

While I wish I could talk my kids into coming along more often, I have a hard time getting them out more then a couple of times a year for camping/fishing and my wife pretty much hates the outdoors. Most of my friends are golfer not campers. Rather than sit around frustrated I went and bought myself back packing gear this summer and am planning a few sole trips. I used to back pack when I was in my 20's and loved it. I've always felt at home in the woods but I don't think I'm going to wander too far from beaten trails.

Go for it, solo.

I've spent much of the last 40 yrs going solo in the mtns, hiking, fishing, climbing etc and if you know what you're doing it is not all that dangerous really. Typically the people who are quickest to recommend that you not go alone are also the least experienced. They think the trip out by vehicle is the safest part LOL .You just have to keep your wits about you when by yourself and start with shorter trips that are less committing. The more you do it, the better you become at it. I'd hike solo through bear country and feel much safer than wandering alone down some seedy Calgary streets at night.

Now, going with a dog into bear country is just plain dumb, unless your dog happens to be a Karelian bear dog, no matter how special and talented poochie is to you. (I can hear the howls of derision already!) To a bear, your dog is just another wolf and that yapping does not scare him, it pisses him off. Bears and wolves have competed for food and territory for thousands of years and are natural enemies from way back then. Ask a biologist if you don't believe me, or read Stephen Herrero's books about bears. BTW I always find it amusing when I see total novices and tourists on a busy trail and are armed with a can of bear spray. These folks probably wouldn't have the presence of mind to use it properly even they did see a bear. I guess it keeps them deluded and happy overall, though. And sells a product...

Rufus28,

If that is directed towards me, I never leave home for an outdoor adventrue in the mountains or anywhere else without mine.

Do you have another means of Emergency Notification now that you have your pilots lic, that you do not need the SPOT? Heaven forbid the plane go down and or comms be lost on the plane, I think the spot would be a great "Back UP in that case.

I have no stake in or anything thing like that in SPOT. just think they are a great tool.

It was directed at the original poster....Sorry for the confusion.

I do not have my license yet as my shoulder is screwed up requiring surgery and I do not feel safe to fly with the condition it is in.

(Being Non intentional Hijack).....The SPOT is a great tool and there is a huge debate (read anti government) in the aviation community right now regarding ELT's (Emergency Location Transmitters) and Transport Canada. The long and the short of it is Owner's and Pilot's feel the ELT system and the new 406 ELT's are not better (in some cases worse) that the old 121 system.

I carried mine specially or my Solo Cross Country Flights and so the wife could check in on me via Google Maps.

(End Hijack)

I also took it last year on a trip up to fox creek last fall. No cell coverage so it allowed me to send an "I'm OK" message to the wife everyday.

Brad

Hey thanks so much for the offer, but I actually have a similar device made by ACR. It doesn't have the "I'm OK" feature, but it's a very good emergency beacon.

Get out there. I fish alone about 90% of the time, including up in the mountains, much of my mountaineering was done solo (not on glaciers, however), and almost all of my sheep and elk hunting was done solo. My knees are pretty much shot now so I don't go into the rough country except to fish.

Alan2 pretty much nailed it. If you have experience, you're safer out there than on the drive to the water. Just remember to evaluate every tricky spot and be prepared to change your route or plans on occasion to get around really hazardous spots.

I went in for Golden trout alone this weekend. I know plenty of hunters that go days in the bush alone. Just take proper precautions. It's a good idea to have a sat phone or satellite beacon if you plan to spend considerable time back there or if you are going to be moving around a lot. Just follow the proper safety. Practice bear safety. Have the right equipment. Make sure people know where you are and when you are coming out. Don't take silly risks.