Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Some Input!

uglystick

Different type. For that style of wet fly, look for a hackle that is really webby...it should be more soft. Yours looks a little too stiff, more of a hackle that would be suitable for a dry fly.

The webbier hackle moves more in the water and gives the fly more life. I would also try less wraps...maybe 4.

Good start.

I agree about the webby hackle -- often it is labelled and packaged as "wooly bugger saddle hackle." Also, I like the tapered look you get by tying the hackle in by the tip at the rear of the hook and winding forward. Not sure if the fish care though. For extra durability, you can also try counter-wrapping the wire rib over the hackle. Good job though -- I'm sure your version 1.00 will catch fish. Who know, perhaps version 1.01 will catch more. :lol: Terry

I don't usually use the tips of marabou. I'll tie it in long and rip a few chunks off (with fingers) to length. You can use less marabou to get the same tail bulk, which helps keep the butt end of the body less bulky.

Great bugger for a newbie. Keep at it.

What everyone else said (webby, less wraps, shorter hackle, etc.). What I do is tie the hackle in by the tip at the front of the hook. Wrap back towards the tail and then wrap wire over it from back to front and tie off (adds durability). If you want less, stip one side off the hackle before wrapping back.

And then I give it a good srub with a dubbing brush to pull the underbody out to blend everything.

Bonus on the 18incher. Feels good, don't it.