Fly Fusion Forums

Where To Purchase Survival Gear?...

after a tumble in a creek about 2k from the truck, i realized that bandaids and polysporon may not cut it as a "survival kit" if something serious happened, so...

i had a good idea of what a kit should contain and did a little research to confirm, but now i am not sure where to purchase the things i need, i was thinking Wholesale Sports here in Calgary, but was wondering if you guys had any better ideas??? thanks guys!

after a tumble in a creek about 2k from the truck, i realized that bandaids and polysporon may not cut it as a "survival kit" if something serious happened, so...

i had a good idea of what a kit should contain and did a little research to confirm, but now i am not sure where to purchase the things i need, i was thinking Wholesale Sports here in Calgary, but was wondering if you guys had any better ideas??? thanks guys!

the spot tracking device is a great thing. they carry them all over in the city

obviously not a stand alone item but a roll of hockey tape is one of the best items you can have. I'm a carpenter and a bit of a savage all around and thus am nearly constantly bleeding and my opinion is bandaids are beyond useless. Hockey tape sticks to itself really well and breathes somewhat. Keeps crap out until you can really clean it up, and besides using as bandage I'm sure it could be useful in many other ways if you put your mind to it.

my 2 cents.

obviously not a stand alone item but a roll of hockey tape is one of the best items you can have. I'm a carpenter and a bit of a savage all around and thus am nearly constantly bleeding and my opinion is bandaids are beyond useless. Hockey tape sticks to itself really well and breathes somewhat. Keeps crap out until you can really clean it up, and besides using as bandage I'm sure it could be useful in many other ways if you put your mind to it.

my 2 cents.

Damn that's a helluva good idea, beats the heck outta 3x3 gauze sponges and 4" vetwrap. Thanks

Super glue, should be in every kit if you out in the bush for an extended period. stings like hell but will seal a wound that should be stitched in a pinch.

For someone like me who's so accident prone...

Yeppers, superglue is the best to have... If i'm going anywhere remote, i'll have some suture tape as well, great stuff. Tree sap is good in a pinch but I also carry a styptic pencil with me for the smaller stuff when I get chewed on by a pike. Also carry some spray hand sanitizer with me, you can get them not much bigger than a pen. The stuff you pack doesn't need to be huge by any means.

For someone like me who's so accident prone...

Yeppers, superglue is the best to have... If i'm going anywhere remote, i'll have some suture tape as well, great stuff. Tree sap is good in a pinch but I also carry a styptic pencil with me for the smaller stuff when I get chewed on by a pike. Also carry some spray hand sanitizer with me, you can get them not much bigger than a pen. The stuff you pack doesn't need to be huge by any means.

That spray hand sanitizer stuff is also Alcohol so use it to start a fire if needed due to rain or poor burning materials..

One of the best pieces of survival gear I carry is my SPOT GPS tracker. It is a great piece of mind for my wife and kids, I fish a lot by myself and the old don't expect me home until let's say midnight , means I could be broke down or broken for 10 - 12 hrs before anybody gets worried..

The SPOT means near instant notification of anything going wrong.

I still of course carry a survival kit, I have 2, one for summer and one for winter!

the winter one is augmented by whiskey and the summer one by Beer <--poke--<

Hear ya, Disgusting how I can go out with 3 beers in my pack and come back with a 24 of empties. just wish I could work it the other way.

Ohhhh Man I want to be in that parallel universe...

Me too sorry for the side track, got lost may need the gear...