Fly Fusion Forums

Has anybody got suggestions/experience or opinions for cost/quality/charge rate/Sellers for a smaller portable solar panel that can be used to charge a battery in a camper. The only draw on the battery will be the the interior lights as I believe propane is used for the fridges aren't they?

Thanks in advance.

FHD

Switch your lights to LED, your battery will last forever.I purchased 3 strings of LED's like Christmas lights, hung them under my awning.Plenty of light had them on for at least 6 hours each night for 5 nights.I had them hooked up to a separate battery for a test.It was at 12.61 volts the first day on the last day i checked it again 12.5 volts.So 30 hours of light and barely made a dent in my group 27 battery.The lights where about $8 each string.

Has anybody got suggestions/experience or opinions for cost/quality/charge rate/Sellers for a smaller portable solar panel that can be used to charge a battery in a camper. The only draw on the battery will be the the interior lights as I believe propane is used for the fridges aren't they?

Thanks in advance.

FHD

Does your furnace have a fan? I have camped in my trailer 22 days so far this year and I still have lots of charge in my battery. I only have the lights on for a few minutes at a time. I do not use the water pump and my furnace doesn't have a blower fan. Those two items can drain a battery.

This is my first trailer and I asked the same questions as you a few months ago. My plan is to keep going 'til the battery gets low and then recharge it at home. My trailer is parked for the summer at a campsite in SW Alberta.

i bought a 15 amp solar panels at canadian tire they were 150.00 they are 2 panels that connect together siliconed them to the top of my 5th wheel trailer and have not had a problem with the batteries they are always fully charged. your fridge will draw power if its a newer fridge from the auto igniter sensor. its a good unit i have seen them on sale for 129.00 and they come with all the connections you need.

i bought a 15 amp solar panels at canadian tire they were 150.00

I think you mean 15 watts.

I can't remember the exact #'s but a 15 watt panel in full sun for 8 hours was about 1.5 to 2.5 amp/hrs per day.I think a group 27 battery is 180 amp/hrs.

So this is the way i look at it,

150$ solar for 10 minutes of light (approx) if its sunny per day.

100$ new battery 2 days of lights ,furnace and music or hook 2 together for 200$ and get 5 nights of power.