Fly Fusion Forums

Floating The Bow In The City

Wondering what your thoughts are for floating the Bow thru the City once the Weir is finished? I am not aware of any put ins or take outs for a drift boat above the Weir to Bowness? Also, is the fishing going to improve thru the city stretch once the Weir is completed (i.e. easier for the fish to make their way up the river)? Not sure if the spawning runs would change or if they just stay the same based on the fish history?

Thoughts / comments? :caffeetime:

I can't wait drifting from bears paw down i think it will be awesome. I've thought about launching right above the weir just to run those new rock piles, but it's really more of an excuse to run new water. I would love to be able to launch at princess's Island at night and drift by all the buildings lit up, I think that could be cool. I do personally believe/hope the fish will move up, but I have no basis for this thought except I find fish try to get to head waters if they can. Maybe the fish will start spawning in nose hill creek again???

I had a walk at lunch hour to the new water park below the wier when a bunch of kayakers etc were out. I'm not sure what the city is planning for access. The people using the park had driven up the construction road. It's a long paddle from where the boat launch is under 17th Ave/Blackfoot once the construction road is closed. I think the city is the planning stage for a potential parking lot. The Harvie passage web site has no info in that regard.

I think I might be too chicken to run that in driftboat. It's got to be a close to a 5 foot drop on the one structure. It's hard to believe that the city would actually remove the bouy system and allow rafters through that section. I can't wait for it to be open next year and see what happens. My guess is there is going to be lots of conflict between the users groups but I hope that's not the case.

I think I might be too chicken to run that in driftboat. It's got to be a close to a 5 foot drop on the one structure.

Ya that's what has me excited, but i won't do it unless I'm in my aluminum boat, it is going to be huge, the outflows look almost as hectic as the weir

There's going to be a whitewater, kayak side and a choppy floating side.

As you can see the whitewater is on river left, i think it's 4 drops when it's all done.

The choppy side is river right, shouldn't be any rougher than some natural choppy river sections.

There's going to be a whitewater, kayak side and a choppy floating side.

As you can see the whitewater is on river left, i think it's 4 drops when it's all done.

The choppy side is river right, shouldn't be any rougher than some natural choppy river sections.

I too, am looking forward to floating it. Yes, those rapids are pretty wild, but they sure do look fun! I just don't know of any put ins above Blackfoot bridge. Other than the regular, haul your inflatable down.

Wouldn't it be something if the river fishing was to improve throughout the city? Should be interesting........ :fishfish:

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have some friend that have run the rocks and they had a BLAST! you can put in at the head of construction or ride the south/west side where the rocks break up the wiers killing power.

The rock formations are nothing to worry about, they dont have an under pull. they are shooters with constructed bottoms so no under lying rocks like in nature.

disclaimer!

use at owns risk...this does not count as legal advise