Fly Fusion Forums

Cane

Tadpole

does anyone know of where i can go to obtain some tonkin cane? does anyone have some scraps by chance? i am looking to aquire all of the necessary stuff to hopefully within a year build my first. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot. your just full of all the answers arent you.

Not sure if I'm taking your response the wrong way or not, but this section is called 'Ask the Pro's' and currently I'm making a bit of a living as a Rod Builder/repairs, so yes when it comes to rod building I do have some answers or at least know folks that do.

Colin

Not sure if I'm taking your response the wrong way or not, but this section is called 'Ask the Pro's' and currently I'm making a bit of a living as a Rod Builder/repairs, so yes when it comes to rod building I do have some answers or at least know folks that do.

Colin

yes, sorry if you took it the wrong way. did not mean it like that. just nice to see someone with answers. sorry for confusion

yes, sorry if you took it the wrong way. did not mean it like that. just nice to see someone with answers. sorry for confusion

No worries, guess I'm just getting a little cranky in my old age.

Feel free to PM me with any other rod building questions you might have.

Colin

No worries, guess I'm just getting a little cranky in my old age.

Feel free to PM me with any other rod building questions you might have.

Colin

once i get started i will for sure. I appreciate the willing help. i am taking my time and gathering equipment and tools as of now, and doing all my research. Thanks a lot.

building cane rods is a life time of learning , when your good and if your lucky , you could be like some builders having a 7 year waiting list and getting $5000 a rod , dream for the top , with todays internet and the passing of info , allot of builders help new guys out , in the city is a friend of tom morgans who has his mill for doing strips , also i know a few good friends who i can set you up with that has been building cane rods for a long time , they make a living only with building cane rods but they are true masters at finish work , i could never do it as don't have the heart for it , only the love of fishing them

i like bamboo rods , nothing comes close for a dry fly rod with real silk line , i have some of the best builders rods on the market , i'v been fishing with bamboo guys and have seen allot of great rods the last few years , i'm taking a great bamboo rod builder this year on a week trip , his rods as good as you'll ever see , and his waiting list is now 6 years long and he's stop taking orders

they also have a few builders get togeathers , you might want to try to go to one , i wish you the best in taking it on , and if your fussy with being the best , you will do good , some time give me a call and i'll have you over and show you some quads, and penta's , plus a couple flamed rods , i like quads the best myself ,

good luck

building cane rods is a life time of learning , when your good and if your lucky , you could be like some builders having a 7 year waiting list and getting $5000 a rod , dream for the top , with todays internet and the passing of info , allot of builders help new guys out , in the city is a friend of tom morgans who has his mill for doing strips , also i know a few good friends who i can set you up with that has been building cane rods for a long time , they make a living only with building cane rods but they are true masters at finish work , i could never do it as don't have the heart for it , only the love of fishing them

i like bamboo rods , nothing comes close for a dry fly rod with real silk line , i have some of the best builders rods on the market , i'v been fishing with bamboo guys and have seen allot of great rods the last few years , i'm taking a great bamboo rod builder this year on a week trip , his rods as good as you'll ever see , and his waiting list is now 6 years long and he's stop taking orders

they also have a few builders get togeathers , you might want to try to go to one , i wish you the best in taking it on , and if your fussy with being the best , you will do good , some time give me a call and i'll have you over and show you some quads, and penta's , plus a couple flamed rods , i like quads the best myself ,

good luck

dutchie, thanks a lot. I would love to stop by sometime at take a look at what you've got. For me right now, i am not planning on it becoming a career. I am rather wanting to build my first rod to prove to myself i can do it. And like you said, nothing beats a cane rod with silk line and a dry. I love the concept of a nostalgic rod that i created. If you could point me in the right direction to some of these builders and get togethers i would be estatic. So far i have not found much outside of this board in terms of guidance so anything would be of great value. I am very delighted to say however, the response from people on this board has amazed me. so i thank everyone for their input.

I know Holesshot has already found this one, but for other people reading this thread...

www.rodbuildingforum.com

The building/maker crowd is a bit more active on this site. Clark's has some great stuff, though.

• 4 weeks later...

holeshot,

Cane imported into Canada got a whole lot tougher and expensive within the past while. It now has to be fumigated when entering the US and again fumigated when entering Canada. The cost of fumigation isn't a whole lot/piece on a large order but on a couple of culms, it is expensive. I just got another 20 culms. The cost when mixed in with with a order of 200 culms stil was just short of $600 CDN.

Don't even try the cane building thing. Your better off with a drug addition and likely cheaper as well.

Here are a couple of sites.

http://www.canerod.com/rodmakers/

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/index.html

And to put things into perspective:

http://wagnerrods.com/poobah.html

catch ya'

Don