Fly Fusion Forums

New Show

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Now this is an interesting story. Injury blamed on fish.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Fish-atta...a-95354039.html

********************************************************************************

Scottsburg, Indiana (WHAS11) – A 5-year-old girl was attacked by some type of unknown fish on Monday while swimming in a roped-off area at Hardy Lake in southern Indiana.

Some people in the area say this isn't an isolated incident.

WHAS11’s Adam Walser was at Hardy Lake with more on this story.

5-year-old Loralye Daubaugh was doing okay on Tuesday.

On Monday, she was swimming in an area marked off by buoys in Hardy Lake when something bit her thigh.

“It felt like someone was pinching me,” said Loralye.

She wasn't the only one who was bit.

Loralye and her grandmother ran to the concession stand for help, where they learned she wasn't the first child attacked over the weekend.

They were told that a smaller child had also gotten bitten and her leg was also severely bruised.

The incidents now have people in the area wondering exactly what lies just below the water's surface. People have speculated that it could be several different species of fish.

Fishermen speculated that it could be anything from a big carp, to a bowfin to a bass.

The staff believes it may have been a catfish guarding her nest.

And they expect the fish to head back out to deeper water once it's young have hatched.

The park’s director says he expects the offending fish will most likely move on within the next few days.

********************************************************************************

I find fault with a few of their assumptions.

The carp...won't leave the teeth prints...nor can it open its mouth wide enough to bite a slightly concave surface and capture that much flesh.

Neither can a bass bite or a bowfin. Then there is talk of a catfish...again...not much teeth.

My guess is a snapping turtle but a glancing bite rather than a head on bite. Hense the shape and noted bruising. Also not a huge turtle.

I just can't picture a sudden rash of bass bites?

Any other guesses...

Must be a few CSI wanna bees on this board <--poke--<

Guest Sundancefisher
I don't know about a turtle, I would think a turtle would break the skin pretty easily. We had a snapping turtle in Texas and he could cut clean trough a pencil!

I was think that also...but if it is not snapping down on a finger or pencil but rather a full mouthful...it would probably just be a nasty pinch...

maybe... I need lazer pointers to better describe the scene...

I was in the emergency department at the Olds hospital a few years back when a 4 or 5 year old girl was brought in with a bite wound on her calf she received while swimming in 2 feet of water in Dickson dam. The doctor was puzzled. I think it was a pike. This kind of thing happens more than we hear about I'm sure.