Fly Fusion Forums

Leader Design For Deep Indicator Stillwater Fishing

creekside

Hello all

Have been having allot of fun figuring out the different casting styles for both scandi + scagit heads and all the different types of poly leaders on moving water. Lakes are finally ice free here in the rockies and heading out this weekend with my Echo to Maligne for some early season indy fishing. Typically use 18-20' mono leaders for single handed but a little confused on what to use for my switch rod. I'm figuring to use the Elixir head a standard 7' 2x leader (for the indy) and tie on 5' of 3X, 4' of 4x and the rest in 5x. I have a full assortment of poly leaders as well but unsure if the floater or the intermediate will be of any use if I need to tye on all the additional mono to get the depth.

Sure would appreciate any and all advise.

Ray

Not sure about the head but for the leader i use a tapered leader then cut it at the point that its the same as 8lb maxima and attach there.Then some 6-8 lb vanish 5-6 feet,this gives you 16-18'.Then from there i put on 3x down to 5x.I was casting this leader last week without an Indy with a 3wt Z and had no problem at all.I think at one point i had 26' of leader and was surprised how well it turned over.

Not sure about the head but for the leader i use a tapered leader then cut it at the point that its the same as 8lb maxima and attach there.Then some 6-8 lb vanish 5-6 feet,this gives you 16-18'.Then from there i put on 3x down to 5x.I was casting this leader last week without an Indy with a 3wt Z and had no problem at all.I think at one point i had 26' of leader and was surprised how well it turned over.

Thanks all the info I need. I also use a chunk of Vanish and a small swivel to spreed up the sink rate.