Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Have Any Experience With Trailer Dollies?

We have our trailer in our backyard, but it's super tight trying to get it in there. Now that I have an even bigger truck, it'll be pretty much impossible. Thinking about getting something like this:

http://grizzly.com/products/H6241 (Princess Auto has a different brand, but they've been recalled and won't be available again for quite awhile, if at all.)

Tongue capacity on these things is 600 pounds. Reading the reviews, it sounds like some people manage to get ~3000 pound trailers moved around relatively easy, while others struggle with ~1000 pound trailers. My trailer weighs 2400 pounds dry. I'm a pretty strong guy, so I think I'll be able to handle it. It'll be on flat ground, going from grass (hopefully patio blocks soon) to the dirt back alley.

If it ends up being too heavy to be practical, then I'll look at something like this instead: http://www.princessauto.com/truck-trailer/...c-trailer-dolly

So anyways.. to make a long story short.. does anybody have any experience with these trailer dollies? Are they as practical as they look?

Ryan, I suspect your grass will offer too much resistance for you to move by hand.

Not sure about the power dolly - never tried one before - I welded on a reciever to my Jeeps front bumper - makes tasks like you describe very easy - maybe that's an option with your new truck

Thanks guys. I was going to get the manual one at Princess Auto and then take it back if it was too heavy and buy the electric one. But since they've been recalled, I might just have to buy the electric one. I think it'd be ideal.. it's just pretty pricey is all! Although.. if you do a search on the net.. other power ones are a LOT more expensive. The "Park It 360" for example...

My suggestion would be to try and use your truck.You may go back and forth 20 times but I'll bet it will go.My alley is skinny and i get mine in, 20' trailer and the same truck as you.The key is to start in the right position,once you get the hang of it you'll do it first try.

My suggestion would be to try and use your truck.You may go back and forth 20 times but I'll bet it will go.My alley is skinny and i get mine in, 20' trailer and the same truck as you.The key is to start in the right position,once you get the hang of it you'll do it first try.

I was able to use my uncle's Explorer Sportrac to get it in.. but I was literally an inch away from my neighbors fence! I had to get it in part way, unhook, drive around to the other side, rehook, and then get it in the rest of the way without hitting the neighbors garage - again, a matter of inches.

The problem isn't so much the width of the alley.. but the width of the alley combined with the width of the opening in our fence. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the opening in the fence is maybe ~3 feet wider than the trailer itself. If I make the fence opening wider, it won't be an issue. But i'm not too enthused about digging up another fence post and/or hiring someone to do it for me. Way too expensive!

If all you got to do is make the opening wider then thats what i would do.Do you have a gate that you open or is it just open to the alley?

Right now it's open to the alley. I took apart the fence to do it, and need to fix it by building a gate, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• 2 weeks later...