Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Storage Of Float Tube Or Pontoon Boat

I have always stored my float tube inside a heated area and planning on building a worshop/shed this year is it ok to store a tube or toon in a unheated area in the winter without causing damage?

I store mine in an unheated (But insulated) garage, I keep it inflated and pulled up to the roof. I have not had any issues. My uncle store one of his outcasts in garage over winter but he had it un-inflated and folded up. The pontoons developed leaks (cracks) on a couple of the folds.

My Pontoon gets winter stored hanging from my carport for the last 3-4 years without any problem ( as I mentioned in another rececnt discussion the 1st year I had it I deflated it and had a heck of a time getting the bladders lined up right) - I keep it inflated but not at full pressure - no problems yet - I rigged up two 2X4's sligthly wider than the boat and use prussik knots to lower and raise it - real easy to get in and out of the truck but never in the way

My bellys stay inflated but I built a rack inside my mud room.

I do worry about the vinyl bladders stiffening so that is part of the reason I keep it inflated - someday I hope to replace them with rubber just for the peice of mind