Fly Fusion Forums

Head Cement And Flexement Recipe

mickb

Any good head cement or flexible cement recipes out there?

Head Cement: I am looking for something that penetrates fast to secure the hand whip finish.

Flexement: I have heard that you can thin ShooGoo with toulol/toluene and get a version of the commercially available flexible cements, but yet to try this method.

Or should I just get off the wallet and stick with the commercial goods?

cheers,

Ok, so after talking to a few who mix up their own head cement here are a some home made recipes for anyone who is interested.

Head Cement: 1. Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails mixed 50/50 with Acetone or other thinner

2. Regular Lacquer thinned

Flexament: Mix goop with toulene or MEK depending on what the ingredient is in the rubber adhesive. Give you the ability ability to control the viscosity.

I wanted to research homemade options because I teach some new tyers and they are going through the cement and I like buying/tying in bulk.

Give me a shout if you have a homemade recipe that works for you.

thanks,

I use Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish for my base coats to seal the threads (water based and no smell). Then Salley's If I need a build up shiny head. Also use spar varnish for a classic look on winged wets. On wet flies I just wax the thread before whipping, never had one come undone.