Fly Fusion Forums

Fj Cruiser

looking at getting a new fishing vehicle. currently driving a jeep wrangler but i dont take advantage of it's features (taking it apart and such) and need to be able to put a boat on the roof. looking for something fairly good on gas 4x4 with good clearance and enough guts to get me out of trouble. i took a toyota fj cruiser out for a test drive and quite liked it. anyone have an opinion? will probably buy used to keep the price around 20 grand.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WW...%2fintro%2ehtml

i know that the gas mileage isnt very good on these engines. i have an '08 tacoma with 4L which is same engine. and i maybe get 450 km on 80 liter tank. but very good all around capable 4X4 i recently took out an FJ and almost bought it but decided to keep the tacoma for now. good luck getting a new ride.

I've been looking at the FJ as well. The two main complaints I've read are visibility out of the cab and the rear seat can be awkward to get in and out of. I know that the 2010 model gets an extra 20hp and one more mpg than the older versions. Since they didn't change the engine itself I'm guessing they tweaked the computer for the VVT. The other comparable vehicle I'm considering is the Nissan Xterra. For any true offroad 4x4 you're not going to get much better than 17 mpg or so. The thing you want to watch out for is premium vs regular fuel as this makes a pretty big difference.

Marc,

I will agree with you about the room in the back seat. Put simply, it SUCKS! I'm 5'10 and Deb is ~5'5 and there is absolutley zero leg room and we were shoulder to shoulder. Even the cargo space seemed a little bit limited!!

P

I've been looking at the FJ as well. The two main complaints I've read are visibility out of the cab and the rear seat can be awkward to get in and out of. I know that the 2010 model gets an extra 20hp and one more mpg than the older versions. Since they didn't change the engine itself I'm guessing they tweaked the computer for the VVT. The other comparable vehicle I'm considering is the Nissan Xterra. For any true offroad 4x4 you're not going to get much better than 17 mpg or so. The thing you want to watch out for is premium vs regular fuel as this makes a pretty big difference.

I'd buy the 2010 4Runner Trail Edition (in black) any day before an FJ, those things are SWEET!! And very capable off road machines. JMO. Not sure about the price point though..

FJ Cruiser Offroad lists at $36,465 and the 4Runner Trail Edition lists at $44,040. Those are both before taxes/freight and without any extra options.

I know three fellas with FJ's - they are all happy with them. Bought for size and safety though, not wheeling prowness.

Although clearance is decent keep in mind the actual height is relative to wheelbase and width for capability. overall the truck is a little too big for quite a few typical alberta roads and trails - Off road the FJ isn't in the same class as your wrangler, the JK is a better comparison from the Jeep line-up.

All I am saying is that you should expect to compromise your paint if you expect your FJ to go the same places your Jeep is capable of. If you stick to more comonly used roads I think you'll be happy - There a good article in one of the 4x4 mags comparing FJ and JK - should still be on the shelves - if you can't find it let me know and I'll mail you mine - I've read it and its in the recycle pile now.

Whatever you buy make sure to go to car cost canada's website. It costs $39.95 but you can build and price many vehicles. It will give you the dealer wholesale price and any incentive programs they are offering. I used it to buy my new truck and ended up saving close to $8000. The best thing is that High River Toyota is a preferred dealer for Car Cost and they will honur the wholesale price plus a 3-7 points. Ask for Bob Shaw, let him know Brad Ingram sent you.

If you are an AMA (CAA) member (or know one) you get this service for free! I used it when buying my Mazda and increase the dealer cost by 7% and was able to negotiate a fair deal (dealer still made money I'm sure, just less with me then joe blow off the street that didn't do any research).

Good advise Rufus!

P

Whatever you buy make sure to go to car cost canada's website. It costs $39.95 but you can build and price many vehicles. It will give you the dealer wholesale price and any incentive programs they are offering. I used it to buy my new truck and ended up saving close to $8000. The best thing is that High River Toyota is a preferred dealer for Car Cost and they will honur the wholesale price plus a 3-7 points. Ask for Bob Shaw, let him know Brad Ingram sent you.