Fly Fusion Forums

Ninja Early

hydropsyche

Guest bigbadbrent

man..i see that every morning..but im riding a mower...sigh, maybe i'll take my last day off next week and give'r a shot..it's damn cold that early

anything going on, is the real question

It was a tough go. Only 7 to hand each. The fish seemed like they couldn't make up their mind. Leeches in the morning, chronie a bit after, waterboatmen after that and then something I've never seen. Dragons mating/egg laying and lying spent on the surface. Wish I had a pattern to match.

The water is pretty clear. No algae bloom like this time last year.

The fish were eating the dragon flies spent on the water? That sounds cool. I have watched fish chasing them under the water while they buzzed the surface. I have even seen them jump up to try and catch them in the air. Did you get any fish over 20". What was the water temp like?

Twitching spent adults and the fish starting rising. I'm assuming they were taking them, but didn't actually see one being taken. I'll have to tie one or two adult patterns in case I ever see that again. Red bodies, not the blue damsels.

Largest fish was about 20. I notice the majority of the catches are larger then last year (duh). I had two bustoffs that almost yanked the rod out of my hand.

Surface temp was 61 in the morning, about 64 by 3pm. Premo temp.