Fly Fusion Forums

Carrying Tying Materials Onto Australia

jonn

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe...tr&gs_rfai=

Check out the first two links.

Ya I already Google'd it, but I can't find anything on packaged feathers and furs. I Know flying to the States you can bring your things across if it's in a company package, ie. H&H, Super fly, Whiting.... My computer wont open up the second link ethier for some reason. I just figured maybe someone on the board has gone over fishing and would have some insight.

this is what the second link says

Goods that must be declared

• Cooked and raw food and ingredients

• Dried fruit and vegetables

• Noodles and rice

• Packaged meals including airline food

• Herbs and spices

• Herbal and traditional medicines, remedies, tonics

and herbal teas

• Snack foods

• Biscuits, cakes and confectionery

• Tea, coffee and other milk-based beverages

ANIMAL PRODUCTS

• Feathers, bones, horns and tusks (must be clean

and free of any tissue)

• Skins, hides, and furs (rawhide including drums,

shields and dog chews are prohibited)

• Wool and animal hair (includes fleece, yarn, and

craft items)

• Stuffed animals and birds (taxidermy certificate

required. Some may be prohibited under endangered

species laws)

• Shells and coral (including jewellery, curios

and souvenirs)

• Bee products including pollen, beeswax

and honeycomb

• Used animal equipment including veterinary

equipment and medicines, shearing or meat trade

tools, saddlery and tack and animal or bird cages

• Pet food is prohibited

OTHER GOODS

• Craft and hobby lines made from animal or

plant material

• Sporting and camping equipment including tents,

footwear, hiking boots, golf equipment, bicycles and

fishing equipment

• Footwear, clothing and any items used in rural

areas or carrying contamination from soil, faeces

or plant material

looks like as long as the items are in company packaging you have to declare but will be ok. call the Australian consulate in Vancouver or ottawa to make sure

Australian High Commission in Ottawa, Canada

7th Floor, Suite 710

50 O'Connor Street

Ottawa, ON K1P 6L2

City: Ottawa

Phone: +1 (613) 236 0841

Fax: +1 (613) 236 4376

Web Site: http://www.canada.embassy.gov.au/

Email: dima-ottawa@dfat.gov.au

Office Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 5:00pm Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm

Australian Consulate in Vancouver, Canada

Australian Consulate and Trade Commission

Suite 2050 - 1075

West Georgia St.

Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 3C9

Canada

City: Vancouver

Phone: +1 (604) 684 1177

Fax: +1 (604) 684 1856

Email: canada@austrade.gov.au

(Un)fortunately, I have no experience with Australian customs.

However, based on the reality show (Australian borders?) that we receive here, they are extremely protective of their environment and thus custom is very strict. Of course, the show presents mostly problematic customers, but one not declared sandwich (contained vegetables and meat of foreign origin) may cause you 150 bucks. Be sure to make a complete list of your items and better declare more than less. Fine was required to pay on site! These thoughts are all based on one TV programme, so "hopefully" someone has hands-on experience.

They were pretty sticky on whether or not we had been near a farm in the last while when I went, for the possibility of livestock disease transmission. New Zealand also. Other than that they weren't bad. Worst case you just get to toss your deer hair or whatever else they don't approve of.

Hell..if you can go to Oz, then you should be able to buy whatever you need as far as materials are concern right there...I spent 6 months there and didn't have a problem finding shops that sold what was needed for the flies that were producing...just enjoy the hospitality, the friendliness, the fishing and the great evenings.............Wolfie

You are strongly advised to not even consider animal furs and feathers, packaged or otherwise. All you need is one cranky customs officer and you will either pay or have them confiscated. It is not worth the effort and risk.

As others have suggested, buy materials or flies down under. Do you even know exactly what materials you'll need? No matter what you take, bet a dollar you'll end up buying something like "urine stained koala bear ear hairs" or some "must have" Oz material. ;)

My wife's small bag of trail mix (dried peanuts and raisins) cost us $210 going into Chile last year. Harden criminals we are. Trail mix.

You are strongly advised to not even consider animal furs and feathers, packaged or otherwise. All you need is one cranky customs officer and you will either pay or have them confiscated. It is not worth the effort and risk.

As others have suggested, buy materials or flies down under. Do you even know exactly what materials you'll need? No matter what you take, bet a dollar you'll end up buying something like "urine stained koala bear ear hairs" or some "must have" Oz material. ;)

My wife's small bag of trail mix (dried peanuts and raisins) cost us $210 going into Chile last year. Harden criminals we are. Trail mix.

I'm actually not going there for a fishing trip, I'm going there to work. So I usaully bring my stuff and tie flies when I'm done work. A month is as long time to go without anything to do!

I've been there. They have special containers set up as soon as you get off the plane, before customs, where they give you a little speech and ask you to anonymously discard all sorts of things that they don't want brought in. They are very strict about keeping invasive species out. This was 6 years ago, it's probably even more strict now.