Fly Fusion Forums

For Casting Practice... May I Suggest

• 3 weeks later...
i wonder if i can make a bread ball fly?!?

fines for what? harassing the wild life? not like gophers are endangered. really, fishing for them beats putting nitrogen down the hole and lighting it on fire only to watch flaming gophers run around the field lighting the grass on fire... (airdrie)

You guys keep bringing out the chemistry geek in me. Nitrogen is inert, it doesn't burn. I use that at my plant for making stuff that explodes from not exploding. The gas used down gopher holes is typically propane. A little goes a long way! Oh if you use too much the gophers will launch like a potato out of a potato gun. Please don't do this, leave it to Mythbusters.

i have to admit the 8wt is a little heavy for flogging for gophers. but i do have an Amundson 3wt midge that might do the trick...

you let me know and we can work something out

I've known Pipestone for a long time, and have experienced the gopher fishing. I can't get to a river, and the weather has been crappy for the last week, so boredom has set in. Couldn't find any gophers, so started casting to my neighbors cat, barbless of course. Really quite interesting with the catch and release, claws and fur flying, yarn bits everywhere! I'm going to come up with a fly specifically for it. I think a green/ yellow yarn fly that looks like a frog and is twitched across wet grass should do the trick. They seem to be rather finicky about taking the fly, multiple casts before a strike seems to be the norm. Good for casting practice, don't hit the cat, place the fly behind and beside it, start retrieving, and see what happens! I went with a 5 wt TFO.

Just for the record, barbless means no hook or metal, before the cat people get too mad. A small bag of catnip as the core of the frog might be interesting.