Fly Fusion Forums

I Like Boobies????

proflytyer

Nice! Huge fan of boobies...been actually having some great success with them this year :D

......all jokes aside I think floating flies are a must have in the box for stillwaters. Took one a floating backswimmer fished on a fullsink last trip out to the lake.

Did you buy the boobies ready to go or did you cut foam to shape?

Nice! Huge fan of boobies...been actually having some great success with them this year :D

......all jokes aside I think floating flies are a must have in the box for stillwaters. Took one a floating backswimmer fished on a fullsink last trip out to the lake.

Did you buy the boobies ready to go or did you cut foam to shape?

preshaped booby eyes rainys

Black, olive, white on full sink lines can be killer.........I make my eyes out of a piece of closed cell foam, like the sole of a thong (the kind you wear on your feet---not the other kind) and I just core out a cylinder with a cutting tube---I use an old steel golf shaft that I cut off.......(I would post a picture but------) They tie on easily, are super cheap, buoyant, and you can color them with a waterproof marker if necessary.......

Bobbies - the down side. While we all like 'em, well most of us anyway, there is a downside to bobbies.

They are not terribly fish friendly.

I have used them - rarely do any more. The fish tend to take them deep - like @ the entrance to the stomach making release & survival of the fish a real issue.

While there are "traditional " bobbies there are a host of flies that can be tied to float, I've tied and used leeches & dragons. In every case, the fish ate the bobbies deep.

If you intend to eat the fish, use bobbies - otherwise....

catch ya'

Don

Bobbies - the down side. While we all like 'em, well most of us anyway, there is a downside to bobbies.

They are not terribly fish friendly.

I have used them - rarely do any more. The fish tend to take them deep - like @ the entrance to the stomach making release & survival of the fish a real issue.

While there are "traditional " bobbies there are a host of flies that can be tied to float, I've tied and used leeches & dragons. In every case, the fish ate the bobbies deep.

If you intend to eat the fish, use bobbies - otherwise....

catch ya'

Don

I think the retrieve has a lot to do with this as well, you saw how I fish them and I have yet to deeply hook a fish. I use a very similar 'hand over hand' (or as you refered to it 'roley poley') retrieve when fishing damsel nymphs (although a little slower) and I find I can feel the fish nipping at the fly before they commit. That fish I hooked on Beaver hit the fly 3 times and on the 4th pass basically hooked himself.

Colin

I think the retrieve has a lot to do with this as well

This is my understanding as well. You don't ever want to fish them static, always want to keep them on the move.

I have had a number of fish on them this year with no issues as of yet....if I do notice a trend as you mentioned Don I would definately discontinue use, not worth it.

Cheers,

James

Colin/James,

There is booby flies and booby fishing.

The booby was originally tied to operate in much the same way as garlic marshmallows or Powerbait where the fly hovers off the bottom a foot or so. The line used was a type 4 or greater. It was cast out and the line was allowed to settle completely to the bottom. The booby was not retrieved @ all. The angler tucked his rod under his arm and waited. It was deadly as all get out and for that reason was banned from most English Stillwaters as unsporting. Just for the "unsporting" comment, I had to try it. Works but it is ugly.

If you decide to fish it in the non-traditional way - go for it. The traditional presentation is tough on trout.

A roly poly cast was named by the Brits. It is accomplished by tossing your line as far as possible, waiting for it to sink to your desired depth, tuck the rod under your arm and retrieve with both hands - fast. Fish react - particularly fresh stockers or very aggressive fish working minnows.

catch ya'

Don