Fly Fusion Forums

Scud Hook Concerns

Xplorer

Hi Guys,

I was out on the bow today and did ok this afternoon. I caught a smaller rainbow on a #8 scud hook SJW and he was hooked in the roof of the mouth and it took out one of his eyes. Is this common with smaller fish or should I not be using scud hooks. I don't want to damage a fish in this way if I can do something to avoid it. Should I not be tying some patterns on scud hooks?

I used to fish mostly in the Nw section of the bow, where lots of small fish was common, but there I was usually using small dryflies, so this was not a problem.

Thanks for any tips/advice

Lance

It happens from time to time. I fish mostly scud (curved shank) hooks, and it does happen, but not all the time. the size 8 might be a bit large for the fish, and moving down to a 12 might be better for you. BTW, I'm using the Mustad C49S on most flies and find that they mostly hook in the front lip, depending on the fly for top or bottom. When smaller fish hit, I usually slack the line to let them get unhooked.

Thanks for info pacreseltoro

I thought the fly was kinda large too, I have only been fishing down south since last fall and seemed to do better with larger SJW's. This is the first really small trout I have caught down south, so I guess I will try some smaller sizes and see how that goes. I like the idea of giving them some slack and letting them unhook themselves, hopefully undamaged.

I guess I have to go tie some more flies...hahaha

Thanks again

If you want to use a larger worm and not brain fish, start using a Diachi swimming nymph hook. Fish Tales and Wholesale carries them, because it is a very long hook with a small gape you will find fish don't get brained or eyed. I went to that hook exclusively 2 seasons ago for my worms and still haven't had a fish brained/eyed yet.