Fly Fusion Forums

Guest Sundancefisher
Compared to....?

...how about within Calgary? I thought that was your point earlier that Lake Sundance as a lake community in general is way over priced. As you can see your logic did not hold water. We are no worse than any other nicer neighbourhood in Calgary. Plenty of homes at or below average Calgary housing sale prices. We are not Elbow Park for instance. Neither are we a slum.

If however you are simply referring now to Calgary in general relative to other places in Canada...ya I agree the prices are high. When compared to other higher end economic engine driven cities like Toronto/Vancouver...then we are comparable but still cheaper.

In the US...some buddies have moved a lot over the years looking for jobs in cities with cheaper housing. That is always ones choice in Canada also although I would presume you would need to have transferable employability.

Cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have clarified.. Sorry. 15 properties under 350 k, (a considerable chunk of change for almost anybody, even with a several decades long mortgage) 116 above, by my count. So the higher priced pads quite obviously outnumber the the rest. As you said earlier you felt that values in communities like yours will increase in value along with a rise in gas prices, due to the fact that there are recreational opportunities associated with the lakes. Fair enough. Personally I'd rather not carry the mortgage debt, just for the benefit of a manmade lake. But, I agree, as the average price is where it is why not? As for real estate in general in Calgary, haven't been paying much attention these days, and I hadn't realized that the average single family home was now 459 k. But as I said, given that the average family income is 90 k (and fairly flatlined it seems) I fail to see how any of the aforementioned properties, (and I should have specified all) are truly "affordable" to the average family, even though they are below average on the whole of the city. So I guess the root of what I have been getting at is I don't have alot of faith in the prices of real estate seeing a rise in correspondence to fuel prices, mainly because they seem so high already with the major factors driving their value being cheap mortgages and the obvious sentiment people have towards houses. I guess you could say I'm not very optimistic towards residential real estate at the moment. Off topic to the thread, I know, and a bit of a runaround, but that is what I was getting at.

Guest Sundancefisher
I should have clarified.. Sorry. 15 properties under 350 k, (a considerable chunk of change for almost anybody, even with a several decades long mortgage) 116 above, by my count. So the higher priced pads quite obviously outnumber the the rest. As you said earlier you felt that values in communities like yours will increase in value along with a rise in gas prices, due to the fact that there are recreational opportunities associated with the lakes. Fair enough. Personally I'd rather not carry the mortgage debt, just for the benefit of a manmade lake. But, I agree, as the average price is where it is why not? As for real estate in general in Calgary, haven't been paying much attention these days, and I hadn't realized that the average single family home was now 459 k. But as I said, given that the average family income is 90 k (and fairly flatlined it seems) I fail to see how any of the aforementioned properties, (and I should have specified all) are truly "affordable" to the average family, even though they are below average on the whole of the city. So I guess the root of what I have been getting at is I don't have alot of faith in the prices of real estate seeing a rise in correspondence to fuel prices, mainly because they seem so high already with the major factors driving their value being cheap mortgages and the obvious sentiment people have towards houses. I guess you could say I'm not very optimistic towards residential real estate at the moment. Off topic to the thread, I know, and a bit of a runaround, but that is what I was getting at.

We are clearly not connecting on the data.

There are only 49 listings for Sundance now on MLS. I am not sure where you are seeing 116 listing above $350.

My point is IF you are buying a home in Calgary...the lake communities provide more value via higher quality of life. If you don't want to buy in Calgary...then why are we concerned. You can argue that but until you have lived in a lake community it is hard to explain. It would be like moving from a house with a garage to one without. It is hard to step backwards in creature comforts.

But I certainly see your point about house prices in general being very high. They are ridiculously high and I am scared for our kids when they go to look for a home. If you assume higher fuel prices will crater home prices...if it happened quickly...for sure that could hurt the economy as a whole...but if you look at Europe where prices for gas is highly taxed...traveling for recreation is very costly. Therefore having recreation a stones throw from your home...should intuitively add value. How much...well we can only guess...maybe none...maybe a lot. Somewheres in between most likely.

But anyways...I was thinking along the lines of if someone was looking for a home...loved fishing, the outdoors...kind of a home body now or maybe forced to due to increasingly high fuel costs...why look any further than a lake community.

I should say however...I don't want anyone moving to lake communities and driving the prices and taxes up. This was all purely hypothetical :-)

There are only 49 listings for Sundance now on MLS. I am not sure where you are seeing 116 listing above $350.

But anyways...I was thinking along the lines of if someone was looking for a home...loved fishing, the outdoors...kind of a home body now or maybe forced to due to increasingly high fuel costs...why look any further than a lake community.

Didn't check MLS, just the numbers from your previous post. (Unless that was a running total..?) Good points.

Guest Sundancefisher
Didn't check MLS, just the numbers from your previous post. (Unless that was a running total..?) Good points.

Sorry...my fault.

I was summarizing the absolutes versus within a range. It was a running total. We have lost a few so we do have only a total of 49 listings as of earlier today. Most listings are below average.

I wish our house prices were more reasonable. I think an average of 150K would be nice but now unfortunately a pipe dream.

Sorry...my fault.

I was summarizing the absolutes versus within a range. It was a running total. We have lost a few so we do have only a total of 49 listings as of earlier today. Most listings are below average.

I wish our house prices were more reasonable. I think an average of 150K would be nice but now unfortunately a pipe dream.

The Greeks may just take care of the high home prices

Guest Sundancefisher
The Greeks may just take care of the high home prices

sure...pick on the Greeks. Why should they have to tighten their belts?

Guest Sundancefisher
Because they ran their economy into financial collapse. They don't really have a choice.

Just because they kept on spending through the recession...does that really mean they should be punished?

Or so they seem to think...

• 5 years later...

Hey peaspuls, bean wile, just got back from da bush. Anybud no wat going down wit dis peak oil jazz? Any left? Should I start tinkin solar or wind gen for da wood shack and cook house? Wat bout dis global warmin business? Don't seem to be hearin' anyting about dat nowdays? Wat up wit dat? U boyz had meez so scared up few years bak I justed up a lefted and hid in the bush for wile. Come back out wen da kerscene ranned out. WTF with gas bein 68cents?

Hey peaspuls, bean wile, just got back from da bush. Anybud no wat going down wit dis peak oil jazz? Any left? Should I start tinkin solar or wind gen for da wood shack and cook house? Wat bout dis global warmin business? Don't seem to be hearin' anyting about dat nowdays? Wat up wit dat? U boyz had meez so scared up few years bak I justed up a lefted and hid in the bush for wile. Come back out wen da kerscene ranned out. WTF with gas bein 68cents?

WTF Weedy? You one of those redneck refugees from the peckerwood board??