Fly Fusion Forums

How To Avoid Bull Trout Redds?

wongrs

Have some questions on bull trout spawning activity:

1) What time of year to bull trout generally start their spawning ritual (I don't yet carry a thermometer)?

2) What do the redds look like since they are already in gravelly bottoms anyways without much debris? Other characteristics of bull trout spawning sites?

3) Do people stop fishing for bulls even though they may start spawning before Oct 31?

Perhaps a more appropriate question for Sept/Oct but the other bull trout thread got me thinking.

Thanks.

The redds will look like someone just cleaned all the gravel. Somewhere around 20" wide and 3 feet long. I've seen redds as early as Aug 23, but spawning will probably peak in mid-Sept. Redds usually are found at pool tail-outs. Many consider fishing for spawning trout to be bad form.

Like monger said...

Bulls will spawn in any appropriate spots (flow, small cobble and gravel, close to cover- depth, woody debris).

Depths approximately from 0.1m to 0.8, often in riffle-run type habitat.

Often they spawn in areas that look good to cross on, like the tail-out of a pool (where it starts to pick up speed) or riffle. Watch for clean spots on the bottom and avoid shallow gravel areas where large trout seem to be holding (different from the bulls in the bottom of pools and the ones that race out to slam cutts from the logpiles).

They will start moving to spawn now, and depending on where they are, and will spawn from the end of August through October in Alberta. Bulls turning red are mature bulls that can spawn. Play nice with them, they have less energy to fight as more of it is going to egg/ milt production and territorial behaviours.

Cheers,

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I'm just concerned that I won't be able to tell the redds from the already gravelly/rocky bottom of most mountain streams. On streams like the bow with debris and weeds it's a bit more obvious? Are bull trout redds blatantly obvious? I've never noticed one before.

Thanks.

I'll look for some pictures... but they're not always obvious.

If you wade across the river (knee deepish water) and look back, sometimes you can see where you've stepped and stirred up the gravel. Often it is a lighter colour, or appears less "hazy" as you've just kicked up the fine sediments that have settled there over the season. Redds are like that.

Sometimes you can't see your footprints. Sometimes redds are hard to pick out.

*Edit* No time to find and upload pictures...

This site shows some obvious redds: http://wdfw.wa.gov/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7167

Cheers, */edit*

Thanks Harps.

Those pictures helped. It would be a good idea to photograph some redds this fall and post an article on how to cross streams since bull trout populations are so sensitive and considering the amount of fishing we do all year including the fall on those mountain streams.

The issue of bull trout redds is not as bad as you are concerned about, because the main spawning areas for redds, in Kanaskis Country streams at least, are all permanently closed. These include Storm Creek in the Highwood, upstream of Gorge Creek on the Sheep, and the stretch between Canyon Creek and Elbow falls on the Elbow. You may are likely to encounter some redds in other areas, but they will be somewhat scattered and the lighter gravel will be fairly obvious. If you are thinking of getting into the water, try to look in from an elevated vantage point, and then the redds stand out quite well.

The issue of bull trout redds is not as bad as you are concerned about, because the main spawning areas for redds, in Kanaskis Country streams at least, are all permanently closed.

not to mention the majority of the major spawning tribs in the oldman/castle drainages are in the forestry too...the closure should give them a stress free spawn this year (hopefully)....